Graphic by Helen Mak.

Carleton announced a new partnership with the Canadian Arrhythmia Network (CANet) on Dec. 15.

The national program, comprised of a collection of scientists across Canada, researches ways to effectively diagnose and treat heart rhythm disturbances.

Heart rhythm disturbances are related to approximately 40,000 deaths in Canada each year, according to a Carleton press release.

“CANet aims to provide the tools to empower people to manage their own health and allow caregivers to improve patient care,” the release said.

Dr. Rafik Goubran, Carleton professor and dean of the Faculty of Engineering, will lead a team of researchers to contribute Carleton’s effort to the network.

“Carleton’s goal is to contribute its expertise in biomedical engineering to this growing field of research,” Chris Cline, Carleton’s media relations officer, said in an email.

“Carleton researchers will participate in the area of technological innovations for the improvement of diagnosis of conditions leading to sudden cardiac deaths, atrial fibrillation, and of syncope.”

The Digital Signal Processing Laboratory, a research lab used by the department of Systems and Computer Engineering will be a “key piece of infrastructure” for CANet’s efforts, Cline said.

“We have brilliant researchers and more than 350 students enrolled in our various programs related to biomedical engineering,” Goubran said in the press release.

Ed Holder, Minister of State (Science and Technology) announced CANet would receive $26 million in federal funding over the course of five years to aid its research efforts.

“Through our updated Science, Technology and Innovation Strategy, our government is making the necessary investments to push the boundaries of knowledge, create jobs and prosperity, and improve the quality of life of Canadians,” Holder said in a statement.

“The newest additions to the Networks of Centres of Excellence will undertake research into important aspects of biochemistry, cancer, arrhythmia, aging and brain development, leveraging nation-wide talent and resources to tackle social and economic challenges that are important to Canadians.”

The network will consist of more than 100 clinicians, researchers, engineers, patients, as well as industry and government partners, and post-secondary institutions across Canada, including Carleton.