An internship posting on Carleton’s website for two unpaid full-time positions was removed after the Canadian Intern Association posted it on its Wall of Shame on March 10.

Association president Claire Seaborn said she was notified about the posting by the association’s lawyer, Andrew Langille.

“He sent it to me and said, ‘This looks sketchy,’ ” she said.

The posting advertised a four-month “strength and conditioning” internship aimed towards students studying kinesiology or a related field looking for experience.

The Wall of Shame post criticized the internship as it did not appear to offer any academic credit and was unpaid.

Chris Cline, Carleton’s media relations officer, said in a statement, “these opportunities are very common in sport.”

The statement added the positions will be filled with students who will participate as part of their credit requirements.

Seaborn said the association posts advertisements for internships that might be illegal on the website’s Wall of Shame.

“We saw this internship and posted it on the site and quickly afterwards we got an email from the guy who posted it,” she said. “I also emailed him and said ‘Hey, just as a heads up, we posted this on the Wall of Shame and we’re happy to discuss with you what the issues are.’”

The author of the internship post has not responded to requests for comment.

Seaborn said she is glad they posted it and she hopes this will result in a paid internship.

Under the Employment Standards Act in Ontario, unpaid internships are illegal unless they fall under a specific criteria for pay exemption. If an internship does not fit the exemption criteria, minimum wage pay is required.

“[Paid internships] have always been the law,” Seaborn said. “There’s no mention of the word ‘intern’ in any of our employment laws, and since interns are employees, they’re entitled to minimum wage.”

Seaborn said she’s struggling to decide if she should take down the Wall of Shame post now that the internship posting has been removed.

“We may do that, but unfortunately it’s more helpful to teach other employers by leaving it up for the time being. That’s really where we stand right now,” she said.