Carleton’s Improv Association (CIA) took over Rooster’s on Nov. 14 for their first performance, called “Get Cocky.”

Jenn Colavincenzo, Kevin Truong, Lauren Ashley, Courtney Merriam, Della Woodger, and Alex Quinn were the six members lined up to perform for the night. They attempted to entertain the audience with what Eric Stewart, the club’s current captain, called “a hell of a lot of fun.”

Stewart also hosted the performance, inserting his own puns and comments between each game. He explained the structure of the night would consist of “rounds of short-form games that last about five minutes, and each have certain conditions or requirements.”

The performance is similar to the association’s rehearsals, only now in front of an audience.

Before the show, the club members met to determine who would play which game, and to make sure everyone would get equal stage time, Stewart said.

After the show, Stewart said it was the biggest turnout the CIA has ever had, with over 60 seats filled at the beginning.

“Having an excited crowd makes improv so much better since we draw energy from the audience,” Stewart said.

However, viewers said that by intermission, it seemed like the show was running out of energy. A student, who asked not to be named, said “it was boring . . . I mean, it looks like they are having fun up there, but by break, I just wanted to leave.”

Several audience members left during the break. However, while this was happening, Megan Gibson, the CIA’s media head, was walking around handing out slips of paper for the next half’s participation element. The audience would write phrases on the paper, and actors would then use them as dialogue.

Audience participation led to some vulgar suggestions, but the performers handled them well.

“Everything is made up on the spot, no scripts and no planning,” Stewart said before the show.

“Improv is one of the most comfortable places I can be,” Woodger said.

Not only does the club stress their inclusivity, but also the relationships they build. “I have met some of my best friends doing improv,” Merriam said.

Jen Colavincenzo said improv is where “you get to know people, learn how to work with them, and recognize when they are stuck.”

“Improv is like one continuous trust fall on stage,” Stewart said. “You don’t know what is going to happen, but you trust that your friends are going to be there and catch you when you screw up.”