Carleton’s journalism society hosted a panel Nov. 19 with four prominent journalists to discuss their experiences in the sporting world.

The panel hosted three Carleton journalism alumni, including Sean McIndoe, Jamie Long, and Ian Mendes, as well as Queen’s University graduate Chris Lund.

Each panelist told their personal story of how they got into the field of sports reporting and each of their experiences differed. The one thing they each had in common was the fact they each did a variety of things before they found their true passion.

McIndoe is an NHL reporter for Grantland, Chris Lund is a web writer and social media content specialist for the Toronto Maple Leafs, Jamie Long is a digital journalist for CBC, and Ian Mendes is an NHL broadcaster for TSN Radio.

During the panel they discussed the new forms of media, the hardships in the field, being able to handle criticism, and current issues happening in sports, such as the recent Phil Kessel media controversy.

Each panelist agreed they seriously enjoyed their job, but that did not stop them from warning the future sports journalists about the hardships that come with the job.

“I had to go three weeks without seeing my wife and kids,” said McIndoe, a columnist for Grantland and creator of “Down Goes Brown,” a blog dedicated to hockey humor.

During the NHL lockout, they talked about the on-call nature of the job.

“It’s tough, you’re always on call. One time I was about to sit down for dinner when I got a call saying they needed me to be on a flight in 20 minutes,” said Mcindoe.

Despite the drawbacks of being separated from family, they each explained how they handle it.

Lund explained how he just landed a job for the Toronto Maple Leafs just so he can move to his hometown to be closer to friends and family.

“It’s closer to family which will be very nice. I haven’t been home in a really long time,” he said.

During the second half of the panel, they talked about what piece of advice they each wished they had in journalism school.

“I wish I knew to get involved as much as you can. You need to get your byline out there as much as possible and learn different tricks of the trade,” Mendes said.

Mendes explained how the digital world is the future of journalism, and said it is a cause for most cuts and a deal breaker in being hired.

“It’s this idea that you’ve got to evolve or die, you have to be very versatile,” said Mendes. “There’s no room for one-trick ponies in journalism anymore so learn how to use every platform possible,”