Online Frosh begins in September [Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi].

This year, the decision was made to host Carleton University’s fall orientation virtually in response to Ottawa Public Health COVID-19 safety guidelines.

Even with the online transition, the essence of Frosh Week (which will run September 6 to 11) is the same—it is intended to provide an opportunity for incoming Ravens to get to know fellow students and get them acquainted with the Carleton experience. 

Like previous years, participants will be divided into teams and within the teams, smaller groups of 15-20 students will be formed that will meet daily to run icebreakers and encourage close interactions. Students will also still benefit from academic advising, faculty and program orientations, and will still receive Carleton apparel—including a Ravens’ hoodie. 

In order to compensate for COVID-19 restrictions, Frosh organizers modified previous events that won’t be able to operate as they have in the past—scavenger hunts and a club EXPO will now be held online. Organizers have also created new events that can be held in a virtual format to make sure incoming students can experience all of the same excitement Frosh has to offer. The new virtual events are accessible to all students remotely and feature interactive elements.

Some of the events to be expected for the week include online fitness sessions, at-home Bob Ross paint nights, Netflix parties, virtual shows and concerts, and a virtual club EXPO. Microsoft Teams—a software that all Carleton students have free access to via their Carleton C-mail addresses—will be used to host all events.

Because Frosh is online, the cost of the week-long experience is reduced by 60 per cent from previous years. Participation will cost around $50, depending on shipping rates for Frosh accessories. Registration opened on July 6 and will remain open until the beginning of Frosh week.

Callie Ogden, a Frosh coordinator, said that organizers maintain enthusiasm for the event, and encourage new students to participate.

“We’re very excited about presenting this new virtual platform to all of our incoming Ravens and we’re very excited about the new events we’ve created for them,” she said. 

Facilitators are also positive about how the week will turn out. Vice-head facilitator Natalie Ceccomancini said that the important benefits of Frosh will still be present. 

“That’s what Frosh is all about—making meaningful connections in the Carleton community,” she said. 

She added that she hopes students will take advantage of that opportunity, “even if people can’t be together physically.”

Some incoming students share the same optimism for the virtual venture. Abigail Cameron is a first-year business, global and international studies student who has already registered for Frosh and plans on living in residence this fall. Her first reaction to an online Frosh was negative, but now her mindset is one of acceptance.

“What good is that going to do, if you don’t have it at all? It’s just going to make people even more anxious because they’re not going to have anything in common with [other first-years]—they’re not going to get as warm of a welcome to Carleton,” she said.

First-year criminology student, Karelle Sikapi, agreed, saying that she’ll “take what she can get.” 

“It’s hard to feel like you’re getting the university experience when you’re at home and it’s online,” Sikapi added. “I’m trying to see if I can get some sort of excitement … feel like I’m actually going to university.” 

Sikapi said that it’s important to hold onto some sense of normality, which is why she added that even with Frosh through a computer screen, she hopes many people will take part. 

“We’re trying to find some sort of light in this unprecedented situation, so I feel like at the moment I would expect to see a lot of people,” Sikapi added.

Due to the reality that this is uncharted territory, many students find themselves skeptical about an online Frosh and how the event will turn out. 

Nolan Pratt, an incoming political science student, said he believes that in-person interactions are important and that although online Frosh will still allow students to meet new people, he’s not sure that it’ll reap the benefits to the same extent. For that reason, he says that he doesn’t see himself participating.

“I think that the most appealing thing about Frosh is that you can meet people in person … Removing anxiety you have about meeting new people and talking to them, so I’m not sure if being online really carries that benefit anymore, for me at least.”

Amina Elsharif, a future business, global and international studies student, is undecided about participating. 

“Is it worth it? I don’t know,” she said. “This is something that’s new; it’s different and they’re trying to be creative considering the situation that we’re in.” 

Elsharif said worries about how organizers will handle technical difficulties including Wi-Fi connection are also on her mind.

As much as there is hope for a successful Frosh, there is uncertainty. Students are grappling with an unprecedented situation, and while some remain optimistic, Elsharif wants to wait and see.

“It’s not been done before, so you’re not going to know until it happens.”

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.