Home Sports Football Carleton football upset by Waterloo at homecoming

Carleton football upset by Waterloo at homecoming

125

The Carleton Ravens football team fell to the Waterloo Warriors 45-43 during the homecoming game on September 16 at MNP Park. The loss marks the Ravens third loss in a row putting them in seventh place in the OUA with a record of 1-3.

Waterloo opened up the scoring in the game with an early drive that set up a 40-yard field goal by Waterloo kicker Caleb Girard putting the Warriors up 3-0 early in the game.

Changing possession throughout the first quarter the Ravens were able to get on the board after quarterback Michael Arruda connected with receiver Phil Iloki to complete a 57-yard pass. Running back Nathan Carter was able to complete the drive running 11-yards into the end zone; with a successful field goal from Ravens kicker Michael Domagala the Ravens took the lead 7-3.

The Ravens were able to continue their offensive momentum into the second quarter as an early drive allowed for Domagala to hit a 24-yard field goal.

Ravens defender Kene Onyeka was able to sack the Waterloo quarterback and cause a fumble giving the Ravens possession; Onyeka is now tied for 3rd in the OUA with 5 total sacks. Receiver Dexter Brown was then able to catch a 15-yard pass to put the Ravens up 17-3. Domagala then kicked his second of three field goals in the game to give the Ravens a 17-point lead.

Waterloo was able to respond with their lone end zone trip in the second quarter as Waterloo quarterback Lucas McConnell completed a short 6-yard pass for a touchdown.

Soon after deep in their own zone Ravens running back Nathan Carter was able to break free of the Warriors defence and sprint down the left side of the field running for 87-yards and a touchdown. To cap off the offensive second quarter Domagala was able to put away his final field goal of the game putting the Ravens up 30-10.

The third quarter marked disaster for the Ravens team, as Waterloo was able to complete two touchdowns for a total of 14 points while holding Carleton to zero. At the end of the third Waterloo had closed the gap only trailing the Ravens 30-24.

The fourth started off poorly for the Ravens, as Warrior Dion Pellerin was able to run the ball 52-yards to give Waterloo the lead 31-30.

The Ravens were able to respond quickly as quarterback Michael Arruda was able to hit receiver Iloki with a beautiful 72-yard pass through double coverage for a Ravens touchdown giving them the lead 37-31.

However; Waterloo was able to respond with a 60-yard run by Pellerin and then another passing touchdown, putting the Warriors up 45-37.

Late in the final quarter of the game the Ravens received hope as Arruda and Wilson Birch connected for a 20-yard pass putting the Ravens within two points of the Warriors. Carleton’s only hope was to complete a two-point conversion that would then bring the two teams to overtime. With under 20 seconds in the game an aggressive Warriors defence was able to break through the Carleton line and sack Arruda before a play could be made.

The heartbreaking play capped off a big comeback from the Waterloo Warriors and another loss for the Carleton Ravens. The final score of the game was 45-43 in favour of Waterloo.

Discipline issues again plagued the Ravens as Carleton sacrificed 136 yards in penalties landing them in first place for total amount of penalties with 53 and first in penalty yards with a total of 475.

Not all was negative for the Ravens as running back Nathan Carter was able to break the Carleton single-game rushing yards record with 274 yards. Previously set in 2016 by Jayde Rowe against York with 258 yards. Carter is also now in first place in OUA rushing yards per game by 20 yards with 141.5 yards.

The Ravens now head into their bye week with a lot to think about with only four games left in the season Carleton will be in tough if they wish to make the post-season. Last year the Guelph Gryphons were able to sneak into the playoffs with a record of 3-5, meaning that the Ravens will need to win at least two of their next four games if they want to keep their playoff hopes alive.

The Ravens next game will be on September 30 against the UOttawa Gee-Gees in the annual rivalry Panda game played at TD Stadium.

Photo by Meagan Casalino