Undergraduate students in Carleton’s Faculty of Engineering and Design (C-Eng) are preparing to perform their Mamma Mia!-inspired musical Michael Mia!, set to take place March 16-17 at the Kailash Mital Theatre. Proceeds from the show will benefit United for Refugees.

The musical exhibits themes similar to Mamma Mia!, a 1999 musical romantic comedy based off songs from the Swedish band ABBA. Past productions from the C-Eng community include a parody of Chicago and a Disney-inspired original production.

The musical follows the adventures of a new Carleton engineering student, Sophie, whose older sister Donna gets her engineering ‘callsign’—a nickname given to Carleton engineering students that is featured on their flight suit. After that, “hijinks ensue,” said Melissa Illing, one of the play’s two directors. The musical’s name references the large number of engineering students named Michael, according to Illing.

According to Simon Dewilde, who is also directing the show, the idea for the musical came from the song “Waterloo” by ABBA, released in 1974.

“Melissa [sang], ‘Waterloo, that’s not our school it’s Carleton’ and wanted to write a whole musical,” he said in a Facebook message.

According to their Facebook page, C-Eng begins recruiting students to take part in the production in early September. The themes “portray the struggles and triumphs of engineering students,” and usually feature lots of humour and satire, according to the page.

There is a mixture of engineering and non-engineering related humour, and there is a wide range of performers across many different faculties, not just engineering, Illing said.

For Illing, who’s acted in the past two musicals, the production is a great opportunity to take a break from some of the heavier courses within science and engineering programs.

“I think it’s important to have a creative outlet, or somewhere you can express yourself just because a lot of the course you take are very science-heavy, or brain-heavy,” she said.

Putting the show together has been a smooth process so far, owing to volunteers from past productions who return and build on past experiences, Illing said.

“Every year, the musical just gets better and better,” she said.

The process of writing a musical can differ depending on the style, length, and complexity. However, Dewilde said that dedication was essential for a successful production.

“The process takes a lot of teamwork and dedication. There are a lot of sub-directors that help us out and we have lots of rehearsals [together],” Dewilde said.

When asked about the anticipation leading up to the musical, Illing said that it was high.

“Anticipation is very high, super excited but also very nervous. We’ve been rehearsing for a good portion of this school year so we’re very hopeful,” she said.

The musical is also a great way for students to build a sense of community, particularly with the large number of first-years taking part, Illing said.

“You make so many friends, and have so many experiences where you can learn about yourself and other people through the musical,” she said. “I think I’ve become a better person through the musicals.”

Despite the name, C-Eng encourages any and all Carleton student who might be eager to perform or help out to join the musical.

“There actually isn’t any requirement that you be in engineering to be in the musical. Melissa Illing, one of the directors, is actually in math,” Dewilde said. “The show is sure to please.”

Photo provided