Carleton’s women’s rugby team was held up over the try line in the final play of the game, as their improbable comeback fell through and the Ravens crashed out of the RSEQ playoffs at the first stage.

After the 18-14 loss to Concordia on Oct. 11, the Ravens were pushed into the consolation side of the bracket and now boast a 0-7 record. 

Carleton started the game strong against a physical Concordia side. 

After the Ravens were down 14-7 to Concordia at halftime, the team almost fought back during an exciting final minute drive. Despite being eliminated, Ravens head coach Patrick Thompson was proud of how his team played against tough opponents.

“They fought till the end and worked incredibly hard,” said Thompson. “Concordia’s a good rugby team…we had some momentum at the end there. It’s disappointing to not see them come away with points, but you can’t take anything away from their fight and their effort.” 

“We knew when we went into the dressing room at halftime, our team needed to turn it around,” lock Sierra De Vries explained. “Getting those points on the board to start the second half got the momentum going.” 

“It’s hard,” she said. “We know it’s not the outcome we wanted.” 

Sierra Du Vries carries hard into the Stingers defence. [Photo by Spencer Colby]
Knowing six of the team members were nearing the end of their time as a Raven, Thompson credited each of them after the game for the impact they had on the team. 

These players include Maureen Foran, Katie Foran, Alexis Groulx, Chloe Humber, Danielle Vervuurt and Justine Woods. 

“They’ve been incredible. A lot of the success and growth the last number of years has been a result of what they’ve brought to the program,” Thompson said. “It would have been nice to go out on a more positive note for them.”

“I hope they can look back on their time here and feel really proud of what they have done here, because I’m really proud of all of them.”

When the game ended, the entire Ravens team met in their end zone for a team huddle, as they do every game to reflect on their game. 

Even after the hard loss, each player could not emphasize enough how they weren’t just a team, but a family. 

“This will always be my family. That’s one of our biggest team values, it’s family, no matter what,” said De Vries. “It’s hard when we don’t have success on the field, but at the end of the day we’re still family.”

The team commiserates each other the tough loss. [Photo by Spencer Colby]
Fifth-year player Chloe Humber also touched on the family environment the team creates. 

“I’ve learned how much you can push yourself and how much of a family you can really have. You have 30 girls who love and support you, and when you have that, you have a family,” she said. “I’ve learned how much you can really come together as a group and do amazing things.”

Looking ahead, this particular team has 14 players currently in first-year, including fullback Mariah MacLeod, who will be able to grow together in upcoming seasons

Reflecting on the season, MacLeod mentioned how meaningful it was playing for the Ravens. “Ever since I was younger, all I ever wanted was to play for a university team and then when I got the opportunity to come here it was just amazing.”

“Being on the field and looking at the fans and everyone cheering you on, it’s just like the best feeling ever.”

The Ravens next take on McGill University in the consolation semi-final on Oct. 18 at Raven Road Field.

Feature image by Spencer Colby.