Photos by Julien Gignac.

Carleton students, staff, and faculty gathered Nov. 11 to remember Canada’s veterans at the annual on campus Remembrance Day ceremony.

The ceremony took place at 10:50 a.m. at the flagpole outside of Azrieli Theatre. Representatives from the university community placed wreathes, before the audience was invited to do so at the end of the ceremony.

Carleton University Students’ Association president Folarin Odunayo laid a wreath on behalf of undergraduate students.

After two minutes of silence, Carleton president Rosanne Runte delivered a brief address, noting the increased importance of Remembrance Day for Canadians this year.

“Today Canadians will gather around cenotaphs to pay tribute to all those who sacrificed that we might be free,” Runte said. “We will especially remember Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent and Corporal Nathan Cirillo.”

nRememberance14_2_JulienGignac_(WEB)“Canada has been cruelly tried by violence in the past weeks,” Runte said, visibly moved during the ceremony.

Carleton Safety community liaison Mark Hargreaves hosted the ceremony, and noted Carleton’s strong connection to the history of the wars.

“Founded in 1942 at the height of the Second World War,” he said. “This school met the needs of veterans returning home from war.”

Carleton student Rebekah Elkerton spoke for the aboriginal community, and the unique situation of aboriginal veterans.

“Aboriginal veterans have many times been denied their veterans rights because of their identities,” Elkerton said. “The situation of aboriginal veterans in this country has lacked the respect that we owe to our veterans.”

At the end of the ceremony, Wayne Boone, an international affairs professor from Carleton, recited John McCrae’s well-known poem, “In Flander’s Fields.”

President Runte urged the audience to consider words spoken at the end of the First World War, hoping that they will eventually become true.

“David Lloyd George, Prime Minister of Britain spoke in the House of Commons on Nov. 11, 1918. He said, ‘At 11 o clock this morning, came to an end the cruelest and most terrible war that has ever scourged mankind.’ I hope we may say, this fateful morning, came to an end all wars,’ ” Runte quoted.

“Let each of us echo the sentiments spoken nearly a century ago, and fervently hope that one day, there no longer will be war.”