CU's moustaches have raised over $50,000 so far. (File photo)

The Carleton community has embraced the favourite moustache-growing charity month, with the Carleton network raising over $50,000 according to its page on Movember Canada’s website.

On Nov. 1, participants registered on the Movember website with a clean-shaven face. Throughout the month, they spread awareness by grooming, trimming, waxing, or doing nothing at all to their moustaches while seeking sponsorship for the Movember cause.

But some fundraisers at Carleton are going beyond traditional moustache-growing.

“After 35 years, I’ve shaved off my moustache,” said Ed Kane, assistant vice-president (university services) and Carleton’s Healthy Workplace Chair. The 10-person team he belongs to has raised over $2,000 on the Carleton Movember network so far, with Kane personally contributing $600.

Reporting by Jenny Kleininger
Produced by Fraser Tripp

The Carleton University Online (CUOL) staff are also participating in Movember fundraising.  The CUOL class that raises the most money will get the chance to see their professor teach in an Elvis Presley costume.

Professor Kim Hellemans and her biological foundations of behaviour class have raised the most money so far, according to their leaderboard on the Movember Canada site, with $400.

“I tell [my students] that they will only get to write their exam if they donate a dollar to Movember,” she said.

“In all seriousness, I just make sure to mention it at the beginning of each lecture and show them pictures of my faux-mo’ grower, Matt Holahan, who is growing a moustache for me.”

Professor Peter Thompson’s Canadian studies CUOL class is  in second place in the competition with $245 raised.

“I have been showing the class pictures of the progress I’ve been making, participating in Movember, and talking to them about our own progress as well as that of the other teams, to create a sort of competitive atmosphere where they would be able to help me win,” he said.

This year, funds raised by Movember Canada will go not only to prostate cancer, but men’s mental health as well.

“During November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of moustaches on thousands of men’s faces, in Canada and around the world,” the Movember Canada website states.

“With their ‘Mo’s’, these men raise vital funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and male mental health initiatives.”