A sea of graduating students. [Photo via Joshua Hoehne/Unsplash]

Carleton University bestowed honorary degrees to five notable recipients at this year’s convocation, celebrating their various roles as change makers in the world.

The convocation stage was a familiar place for some of this year’s recipients, who got their start studying at Carleton before progressing in their careers.

During their speeches to cohorts of this year’s graduating class, recipients also took the opportunity to share their knowledge and wisdom with the Carleton graduates.

JP Gladu, doctor of laws 

JP Gladu was awarded a doctor of laws for his involvement in progressing Indigenous businesses and promoting economic reconciliation. 

Gladu serves as an executive of multiple organizations such as Suncor and Broden Mining, and is also deeply involved in Mokwateh, an Indigenous consulting agency. 

During his speech, Gladu shed several tears as he spoke to the honoured graduates, referring to them as warriors. 

“There are four phases to someone’s life, and right now it is the second stage of which you are currently going through,” he said. “I believe you are warriors, overcoming all obstacles, continuing to work hard and going into the real world, fighting for what you believe in.” 

Gladu also expressed his appreciation for Carleton’s recognition, stating he truly wants to make a difference. 

Dr. Theresa Tam, doctor of laws

Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public health officer, was awarded a doctor of laws after leading Canada’s medical response to the COVID-19 pandemic. This included rolling out Canada’s largest vaccination campaign in history. 

As a pediatric infectious disease specialist, Tam’s achievements also include advancing Canada’s understanding on existing and newly emerging infectious diseases.

She noted in her speech that this year’s convocation represented the cohort of students who finished high school and began university during the pandemic. 

“This milestone is a testament of your patience and perseverance,” she said. “It’s also a testament to your hard work, beginning your university careers through a remarkable time in our history.” 

David Morley, doctor of laws

David Morley, a Carleton alumnus, was a presented with a doctor of laws following 45 years of humanitarian efforts, including serving as the CEO of UNICEF Canada for nearly a decade. 

During his speech, Morley shared stories of children he met throughout his career and his contributions to important milestones, including the decline of child mortality rates by two thirds. 

His speech held themes of perseverance directed at the graduating class.

“After graduating from Carleton University with an honours degree in history, I felt lost and didn’t know where to go,” he said. “I eventually got in contact with a friend who worked in human rights to help me get a job, and well, the rest is history.” 

Morley ended his speech by telling the audience that change is possible, but only begins with ourselves and eventually extends to the people around us.

Mallikarjun Tatipamula, doctor of engineering

Mallikarjun Tatipamula’s contributions to the growing world of technology earned him a doctor of engineering from Carleton. 

During his 34-year career, Tatipamula has focused on mobile data, advancing research in 3G and 5G services, with continued experimentation in progressing telecommunication networks. 

Tatipamula is currently the Ericsson Silicon Valley chief technology officer. He has also taught at some of the world’s most prestigious universities, including King’s College London and IIT Hyderabad in India. 

He has co-authored two books and more than 100 publications and patents. He has given more than 500 keynote speeches and is an elected fellow at many institutions such as the UK’s Royal Academy of Engineering, the Royal Society of Edinburgh and the Canadian Academy of Engineering.

“Our world is becoming more and more connected every day by way of technology. The smartphones in our hands are more powerful than the super computers they used in the 1980s,” Tatipamula said during his speech. “With so much power at our fingerprints, new challenges will arise that must be faced head-on, and I’m confident that we will.” 

Francis L. Graves, doctor of laws

Francis L. Graves was bestowed a doctor of laws for his extensive career in public opinion and policy research. 

Graves is the founder and president of, EKOS Research Associates, which focuses on social research in Canada, where he conducts some of the country’s most challenging public research assignments.

His research has led to innovative survey techniques on a wide range of topics, including how citizens view Canadian health care.

Receiving an honorary degree was reminiscent for Graves, as a Carleton alumnus with a bachelor’s degree in anthropology and a master’s degree in sociology. 

“Being here takes me back to when I was in your shoes receiving my degree, all the excitement and anxiousness that comes with it,” he said.

Graves’ speech touched on concerning trends of misinformation and worrisome patterns of disinformation that incite conflict. 

“No matter where I look, people are becoming more and more polarized, and in turn more disconnected from each other,” Graves said. “History has shown us that at the end of these periods of polarization, bad things happen. If there is to be a future for us and our children, we must approach this together.”

He ended his speech stating he believes the university and its graduates are capable of achieving a prosperous future for everyone.

Featured image via Joshua Hoehne/Unsplash.