Carleton awarded two honorary degrees during the fall convocation ceremony on Nov. 14.

Ben Heppner, a renowned tenor and host of a CBC show, and the Honourable Justice Murray Sinclair, chair of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC), received the awards.

The morning ceremony honoured Sinclair with a Doctor of Laws in recognition of his career in judiciary as well as his service to Aboriginal peoples in leading the TRC.

The afternoon ceremony honoured Heppner with a Doctor of Music in recognition of his contribution to classical music.

Carleton president Roseann Runte said the school was honoured to present the degrees.

“We are proud to honour these remarkable individuals whose passion and dedication, compassion, and creativity will inspire our graduates,” Runte said.

“Great wisdom and humanity, brilliant artistry, and humility constitute the impressive legacy of Drs. Sinclair and Heppner,” she said.

Sinclair was called to the Manitoba Bar in 1980 and became known primarily for his representation of Aboriginal peoples and his knowledge of Aboriginal legal issues.

He was also appointed as chair of the TRC of Canada to look into the history and legacy of Indian Residential Schools in June 2009.
Heppner gained an international reputation as a prominent contemporary dramatic tenor.

He has also taken his voice to the airwaves of CBC Radio as the host of Saturday Afternoon at the Opera and Backstage.
Heppner and Sinclair join other honorary degree recipients that include CBC journalist Peter Mansbridge, politician Bob Rae, and former Govenor General Michäelle Jean.