The outdoor fitness centre at Raven's Perch. [Photo by Isaac Phan Nay]

Carleton opened an outdoor gym outside the athletics centre for members on June 14. 

Personal training sessions, group fitness classes and a fitness centre are now offered outdoors at the Ravens Perch on the south side of Alumni Hall.

Equipment is spread far apart to adhere to social distancing guidelines and equipment is sanitized by staff after each use. Wearing a mask or face shield between exercises is mandatory.

The outdoor fitness centre includes cardio machines, a squat rack, benches and free weights. 

According to Guillaume Delia, an employee of the fitness centre and a Carleton alumnus, all the equipment is stored indoors and must be rearranged every morning. 

Brenna Mackay, a communications co-ordinator for the university, wrote about the outdoor fitness centre in an email to the Charlatan.

“We know that it is important to an individual’s mental health to be physically active,” Mackay wrote. “After being closed for six weeks, we wanted to provide students an opportunity to work out and participate in fitness activities in safe and distanced ways.”

Mackay also stated the fitness centre, initially open for use by 10 people at a time, will be able to host up to 25 people as of June 30. The increase in capacity is in conjunction with the second step of Ontario’s three-step reopening plan

Liam Lowe is a third-year economics student who said he has been using the outdoor gym regularly since it opened.

While Lowe said adjusting to the humidity and asking employees to sanitize equipment after workouts were drawbacks, he also said the outdoor fitness centre provided some unique opportunities. 

“You get a lot more of a focused workout because there’s only so much you can do,” Lowe said. “Have a plan and have a focused workout; and know that there’s more use of free weights and the bar rather than machines.”

Lowe also said he was happy to be able to get exercise this summer.

“The gym is doing what they can with the resources they have,” he said. “I’m just grateful Carleton Athletics listened to the student body, and [the gym] has enhanced my summer.”

Delia also said he was glad the fitness centre could be open during the pandemic.

“We can’t be inside, so [the outdoor fitness centre] is a way to open and let people work out,” Delia said. “We want to be back, both as employees and students as well. So it’s good for everyone.”

According to Mackay, Carleton will continue to open up facilities as restrictions are lifted.

“We look forward to being able to reopen all of the athletic facilities as restrictions lift and improving health indicators allow,” she wrote.

Featured image by Isaac Phan Nay.