Nearly 700 Carleton employees made the 2013 sunshine list, released annually by the Ontario Ministry of Finance to disclose the names, positions, and salaries of those in the province who make over $100,000 a year.

In total, 698 employees made the list, an increase from 645 in the 2012 sunshine list.

Carleton’s highest paid employee was president Roseann Runte, earning $358,473.07 plus $45,704 in taxable benefits.

Following Runte were the university’s vice-presidents making upwards of $200,000 and Carleton’s highest-paid faculty member, Tullio Caputo, making $239,757.49.

Head coach of the men’s basketball team Dave Smart’s salary is reported as $168,660, up 10 per cent from $151,425.29 in 2012.

Director of athletics Jennifer Brenning said Smart was entitled to the increase.

“He was entitled to a bonus structure implemented for coaches and common practice at many other universities. As well, Dave was paid out vacation days that he did not take,” she said via email.

The increase of 53 Carleton employees on the sunshine list can be partly explained by people whose salaries were hovering just below the list and were bumped up in 2013, according to Angelo Mingarelli, president of the Carleton University Academic Staff Association (CUASA).

“There is also the possibility that more administrators, staff, and faculty were hired that year with an initial salary offer over the minimum required to be on the list,” he said.

He said, compared to private corporations, Carleton’s number of employees making more than $100,000 is unsubstantial, and that working in public education isn’t about the money.

“One doesn’t become a professor because of the money but . . . for the betterment of humankind and its future generations,” he said.