The annual Capital Pride Pageant featured local drag performers and awarded the title of “Ms. Capital Pride” to a transgender woman for the first time in the pageant’s history on Aug. 23.

The event took place at the Delta City Hotel as part of this year’s Capital Pride festivities.

Winner Kimmy Dymond moved several audience members to tears with a speech following her victory, declaring that she was a proud trans woman that wants to use the Ms. Capital Pride platform to raise awareness for the trans community.

Daughter of a dance teacher, Dymond has danced her way through pageants her whole life. She was introduced to drag by friends in 2011 when she immigrated to Canada from the Philippines.

“They got me a gig one night and the club managers seemed to love all my performance,” Dymond said. “I never stopped.”

This is Dymond’s third attempt competing for the Ms. Capital Pride title, and it seems the third time’s the charm.

“I was not going to join this year, but I had a feeling that I should give it a shot for the last time,” Dymond said.

During the question-and-answer portion, contestants were able to voice issues they believed that are affecting the LGBTQ+ community.

“Getting to speak in the microphone and get my message across, and expressing my leadership was such an honour,” said Dymond.

“I’m still in shock and disbelief, but I am beyond happy.”

Her win as Ms. Capital Pride has earned her not only a crown but a wider platform to spread her message for drag and transgender inclusion. “I’m making history,” she said.

Local francophone drag performers Charli Deville and Mimi Violette were awarded titles Mr. Capital Pride and Mx. Capital Pride. Competitors were judged based on energy and performance.

Aja the Queen, a contestant on season nine of RuPaul’s Drag Race, and Kiki Koe, another Ottawa drag performer, made special guest performances. Aja went on stage to perform a burlesque cowgirl dance with a low-cut fringe yellow and red costume. 

Alongside local Ottawa members of the LGTBQ+ community, the panel of judges included Los Angeles-based rapper and singer-songwriter Brooke Candy and local drag celebrity China Doll.

Audience members said they were impressed by the show.

“It was really fun to see all the performances . . . they were all so talented in different ways that I wasn’t even sure who I was rooting for—I just loved them all,” Grace Conroy-Sabyan, a first-time drag show attendee, said.

“I thought Aja was spectacular,” Max Hanner, another attendee, said in a text message.

“Seeing her on Drag Race, created some expectations for a performance from her in my head, and she definitely met them.”

“These events at Pride allow the community to grow towards inclusion,” Hanner said.

“They give our community an opportunity to express themselves through performance without the need of gender expectations—or any expectations for that matter.”                 

Editor’s note: A previous version of this article said Brooke Candy is an Los Angeles-based drag queen. Candy is a rapper and singer-songwriter who does not perform drag. The Charlatan regrets the error.

Photo by Aaron Hemens