Text:
[Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

This story contains details viewers may find disturbing. Those in need of support can call the Ottawa Distress Centre Crisis Line at 613-238-3311 or the Carleton Sexual Assault Support Centre at 613-520-5622.

Carleton’s department of Equity and Inclusive Communities (EIC) is offering online peer support for sexual violence via Google Hangout Monday to Friday from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) candidates announced they are suspending their campaign after posts about an allegation of sexual assault against a “prominent student leader” started circling social media on Friday morning. 

Candidates are demanding to see action from the Elections Office and the university before the election can continue.

Presidential candidate and current board of governors undergraduate representative, Anastasia Lettieri posted a statement on her Instagram as student governor calling the elections office to investigate the issue. 

“I contacted the University Administration to inform them of this incident and I will continue to advocate that the University take immediate action to protect the victim involved,” Lettieri said in her statement on social media.

Soon after Lettieri’s post denouncing sexual violence, presidential candidates Holden Heppler, Benjamin Lieu, Veronica Dhindsa and Mohamed Faris Riazudden said they are suspending their campaigns until the university and the elections office take action. 

Councillor candidates including Saad Khan and Francesca Lepore have also suspended their campaigns. 

Candidates suspending their campaigns are also encouraging others to follow suit.

“I implore all other candidates to suspend their campaign until CUSA and Carleton can address and investigate this unduly situation,” Dhindsa said in her statement on Instagram. 

Last year, the elections office suspended the election for 48 hours after the Ravens United slate suspended their campaign. This year, Riazudden is calling for a similar action from the elections office, demanding they declare a “blackout period” to pause campaigning.

At the time of publication, Lettieri and presidential candidate Zaiyaan Esoof had not suspended their campaigns.

Tiana Thomas and CASG global and international studies councillor, Anthony Valenti co-authored a statement addressing the sexual assault allegation.

“This is not a political issue. This is an issue of student wellness and safety,” Valenti and Thomas said in their statement. 

Earlier this year, Valenti and Thomas posted a call-to-action demanding better sexual violence prevention from the university and Carleton’s student governments. They have continued their advocacy throughout the last semester. 

Chief electoral officer Nicolas Gil Ocampo declined to comment.

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.