Candidates for executive positions in the upcoming RRRA elections met virtually on March 17. [Photo from Screengrab]

This story contains details viewers may find disturbing. Those in need of support can call the Ottawa Distress Centre Crisis Line at 613-238-3311 or the Carleton Sexual Assault Support Centre at 613-520-5622.

Carleton’s department of Equity and Inclusive Communities (EIC) is offering online peer support for sexual violence via Google Hangout Monday to Friday from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Candidates running in the Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) elections met virtually on Thursday night for the annual all-candidates debate.

Candidates from two slates, Team Thrive and One Residence, tuned in to discuss their campaign platforms. This is the second year independent candidates are eligible to run for RRRA executive positions. 

Parshmeet Singh Juneja, this election’s only independent candidate, was not present. Juneja could not be reached by the Charlatan for comment.

Voting in the RRRA elections will happen virtually from March 21 to 22. 

Presidential candidates

Gialina Jiang from the One Residence slate, who served as the vice president (programming) for RRRA this academic year, said that one of her main platform points is to prevent sexual violence by advocating for more security cameras in tunnels and sign-in sheets on residence floors.

“We will have open consultations throughout the summer with Housing and Life Services,” Jiang said. 

Keana Cavero said the Team Thrive slate intends to work with the Carleton University Students’ Association’s (CUSA) clubs to ensure representation reflects the diverse residence community.

“Part of our platform is that we intend to collaborate a lot more with CUSA clubs,” Cavero said. “And offering more diverse programming to cater to the diverse community that we have represented in residence.”

Cavero asked Jiang why she is running for another term if one of her main platform points is council reform and transparency. Cavero asked if her role in electoral reform aided Jiang’s campaign.

“These systems that are currently in place are the exact thing aiding your campaign as a current executive,” Cavero said. “You did mention putting term limits in place. So in that case, what is your reasoning for running for another term?”

Jiang clarified that she was not involved in hiring the electoral board.

“I don’t appreciate that there’s accusations that these processes have been helping my campaign,” Jiang said. “I would like to say that I was not a part of hiring the electoral officers at all.”

Vice president (administration) candidates

Victoria Platzer from Team Thrive slate said she wants to make RRRA a place where students can have their voices heard.

“Expanding and opening the residence committees is a huge part of our platform,” Platzer said. “We want all residents to be able to be a part of the committees.”

McKayla Wolfer of One Residence said that her team has big plans to merge RRRA with CUSA. She added she would advocate for electoral reform.

“We will be reviewing and or banning the unfair slate system, which gives slates an advantage over the independent candidates,” Wolfer said. 

Wolfer added she wants to get residence students VIA Rail discounts.

“It’s really important that we take a look into that and ensure that is something that is being fought for,” Wolfer said.

Both candidates spoke about how they plan on increasing student involvement within the residence community.

Wolfer said the first step to increasing student involvement with RRRA is providing more information on the association and what it does.

Vice president (programming) candidates

Sanjeevan Kirubaharan with One Residence said he wants to hold more inclusive events.

“One of our core values is that we’re going to be having events for minority groups,” Kirubaharan said.

Riad Abdallah from Team Thrive said collaboration with other organizations on campus is important.

“I wouldn’t want to compete with the organizations on campus. If anything, I want to collaborate with them,” Abdallah said. “Because the more resources you have, the better the events you can make.”

Kirubaharan asked Abdullah how he plans to tackle the issue of sexual violence on campus and what programs he plans to implement. 

Abdullah said he intends to work with the vice president (administration) and the university’s department of Equity and Inclusive Communities.

“By working together we can implement different strategies, especially during events and programming, to prevent [sexual violence] from happening,” Abdullah said. 

Featured image from Screengrab,