The Alpha Art Gallery was bursting with inspiration during the Canada Fashion Magazine launch party and pop-up shop event on Jan. 26. Shelby Del Franko, CEO of the publication, brought together models, brand owners, and artists to celebrate the transition from online brand to print magazine.

An avid fashion lover from a very young age, Del Franko became a model, and recently quit her job to pursue her dream full-time.

“I want to change the fashion industry as we know it,” she said.

Her company started as an online fashion brand, focusing on social media platforms. Over time, people started asking for a magazine, so she decided to create something unique. Every six months, Canada Fashion Magazine will hold an event, similar to the launch party, where the magazine will be handed out, brands will be featured, and artists can network. Understanding that people usually throw magazines out, Del Franko said she hopes the magazine will serve as a memento for the events—a special souvenir that people can keep.

The venue was crowded, with laughter and conversation filling the gallery, and everyone appeared to appreciate the opportunity to connect and share ideas. The sold-out event featured a runway show, exclusive discounts, and a notable sponsorship partner in Versace.  The event never lost focused of Del Franko’s goal—to promote Canadian fashion and art. The open bar served Canadian alcohol, there were performances by Canadian musicians, and local fashion brands were featured.

People were clearly eager to attend, and the gallery quickly filled with bodies clad in unique outfits. Gold eyeliner, pink fur jackets, Prada pieces—people were not shy to show their creativity through their clothes. Versace brought excitement to the party and premiered their scent “Dylan Blue” for the first time in Ottawa.  

Most artists there shared one common goal —to improve the fashion scene in the city. “I’m looking forward to bring Ottawa to a different level of fashion,” said model Janice Gencher.

[tribulant_slideshow gallery_id=”32″]

Gencher said she wants Ottawa Fashion Week to start again, which ended in 2014 due to lack of profits and attendance.

“I think that Ottawa should have a name for itself, there’s so much talent here,” she Gencher said.

Donna Cook, a local Ottawa fashion brand co-owner, expressed similar views. Her brand, AVENIR Designs was one of the five featured at the launch party.

“I find that Ottawa is really stuck on being conservative . . . You don’t need to buy clothes or buy what everyone else is wearing,” she said.

Cook said she wants to help people in the city find their individuality and hopes her brand can help them accomplish that.

The creative energy at the event displayed all of the hidden talent Ottawa has to offer. Although it was in a simple, small room, the runway show was exciting, and the cheering and bright flashes of the photographer’s cameras made it seem grand. The party was a direct reflection of Del Franko’s goals, and showed what she is capable of.

Del Franko already has several plans for the future. The next magazine and event will take place in summer and will feature wedding and prom dresses and suits for the season. But she also has bigger goals in mind.

“We want to expand nationally, we want to do this in every major city in Canada,” she said, and added that she hopes to develop out west next after getting a lot of social media attention from Vancouver,” Del Franko said.

“I am feeling so humbled because I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for everyone else contributing and helping out,” she said.

Photos by Hannah Berge