(Photos by Kayla Wemp)

That’s right, the campus style section (and the style stalking that comes with it) is back and even with the stress of classes, assignments, and exams, Carleton’s campus style still doesn’t fail to impress. The team went around campus this past week to discover new fashion stars, each with their own unique dress sense. Find out where they got their duds and the inspiration behind their standout style.

Mishaal Alkhazal, first-year mechanical engineering

Cardigan: Zara aCampusStyle14_KaylaWemp_(WEB)

Shirt: Polo Ralph Lauren

Pants: River Island

Shoes: Sperry Top-Sider

Hat: gift

Belt: Louis Vuitton

Laidback college style need not always be a monochromatic affair. Mishaal takes “preppy cool” to a whole new level by injecting a surprising pop of colour to his ensemble. Think bright pink and yellow or deep red—whatever complements your skin tone. For added edge, there’s nothing like some tongue-in-cheek add-ons like Mishaal’s “Coco made me do it” hat (Top photo) for ironic fashion flair.

Style mantra:
“I like to be the centre of attention, I guess. It makes me feel better, just to dress up nicely. For inspiration, I follow Instagram accounts like Men’s fashion, Ridiculous Lifestyle, Crime by Design. I also like Cristiano Ronaldo’s style.”

Style tip:
“Avoid sweatpants and try to pull your pants up. I see a lot of sagging pants around.”

Isabella Lai, second-year linguistics

Jacket: Own design aCampusStyle14_KaylaWemp-8_(WEB)

Long-sleeves: Sirens

Shirt: Forever 21

Tights: Forever 21 (Singapore)

Boots: Call It Spring

Bag: Call It Spring

Chained earring: Forever 21

Graphic t-shirt? Check. Statement tights, lace-ups, and electric blue highlights? Check, check, and check. Isabella nails rocker glam with an eclectic mix-up of edgy wear and basic cold-weather essentials like the khaki-coloured jacket she made for herself. Cementing her style status are her metallic accents, in the form of a chained earring and sequined bagpack.

aCampusStyle14_KaylaWemp-9_(WEB)

Style mantra:
“I’m into cosplay, so there’s that influence. Other than that, it’s basically just punk rock. My friends also influence my style.”

Style tip:
“Make the effort and try. I feel that people just go around in sweats and cardigans. Although it’s comfortable, it might not be the most appealing, especially in the case when you match velvet tops and bottoms.”

Matt Sangalli, 23, Media with myChurch aCampusStyle14_KaylaWemp-10_(WEB)

Sweater: General Pants (Australia)

Shirt: H&M

Jeans: H&M

Boots: Call It Spring

aCampusStyle14_KaylaWemp-11_(WEB)

There’s something about Matt’s look that’s a cross between an indie band member and a sensible librarian and we love it. Channel his style by pairing a top-buttoned dress shirt with a laidback elbow-patch sweater for a mix of smart and casual wear. Feeling adventurous? Top it all off with a daring hairstyle like Matt’s half shaven do.

Style mantra:
“Always button the top-button. I also get inspiration from pastors like Judah Smith and Carl Lentz on Instagram.”

Style tip:
“Skinny jeans are the way to go. Even on dudes, it’s true.”