Photos by Michel Ghanem

Where do we cross the line when it comes to fashion? With celebrities and icons working on their maximalist looks, and designers such as as Dolce & Gabbana, Prada and Dior upping their ante season after season, how these trends appear in daily student style is often overlooked. Our fashion risks are our brightest sartorial memories, no matter the positive or negative impact. Any student can create these memories, on or off campus. This week on Campus Style, I searched for chic campus students with outrageous flashbacks.

Stephanie, fourth-year history

What are you wearing today?
The tiger-print tights are from Urban Outfitters. Most of the things I’m wearing are a few years old so I kinda forget where I got most of it. I do shop at Value Village a lot, where I got my shirt and skirt, and hat — washed twice. I like to keep it economical.
Do you think it’s important to take risks in fashion?
I think its as long as you’re comfortable in what you’re wearing. I mean, you look around you and pretty much in today’s day and age, everything is acceptable. It comes down to if you like what you’re wearing. Wear what you like, and make a statement if you can but it should reflect who you are.
What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever worn? 
I was wearing a pair of pants the other day that only I liked. They were really wide and high-waisted trousers — I liked the pants. They were probably from the 70s or the 80s, I thought I pulled them off. I got made fun of by my boyfriend — pretty bad, joking-wise, but I felt really good in them, so I wore them.

Natalie, third-year law

Tell us about your look today!
Everything head to toe is from American Apparel, except the shoes which are from Winners. My backpack is from Urban Outfitters, from way back.
What’s the most outrageous item you’ve ever worn?
I was at a wine show, and I had full mesh shirt on — it was the first time I had ever worn mesh, that was big for me. I don’t really take many risks.
Do you frown on individuals who take risks in the way they dress?
No, I love originality. I adore it! I love walking around and seeing all the unique looks on people around campus, it’s great. My originality kinda sprung when I moved to Ottawa, when I started working at American Apparel and stuff like that.

Dan, fourth-year mechanical engineering

Describe your look!
I got my jeans at Jean Machine, these shoes in a sneaker store in Toronto, and my white hoodie and jacket from NRML.
Is taking risks in style important to you?
Yes, actually, I think it makes people unique. I love it when people are taking risks, I find it more interesting.
What’s the most shocking item of clothing that you’ve ever worn?
I would have to say my bullet belt. When I was in high school, I liked punk rock a lot and I was really into that kind of style — very outrageous, very in your face.
Keeping up with the weekly Campus Style?
Keep it chic with Michel Ghanem on Twitter, @wtfmichel.