Photos by Michel Ghanem

We all struggle to allow the proper amount of flexibility in the way we choose our outfits on a daily basis. In other words, it usually to how lazy we are. It’s a simple — we all want to be comfortable. That being said, how would we ever progress as a society if we never dared leap beyond the constraints of comfort? I would personally never leave my bed. The same concept is applied to outfits — we need to put a look together that will reach beyond that basic (and frankly, boring) craving for exclusive comfort. A chic outfit that brings you that one step further will ultimately make you feel better about yourself and will improve your mood. Let’s take a look at what motivates some of the students on campus this week.

Dani, first-year environmental studies

What are you wearing?

This jacket and the scarf is from Third World Bazaar, which is a fair trade place that operates through third world countries, it’s really awesome! The tights are from Winners, the boots from Aldo, and the dress from Gap.

What motivates you to dress well in the morning when you wake up?

I always want to look nice! Not so much for impressing other people, but kind of just to feel good. Whereas, if you just go to school wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt or a sweatshirt, it just doesn’t make me feel good. Dressing well makes me happier.

How do you stay warm and trendy at the same time?

Well, I always make sure I have the basics — the coat, the hat, the mittens, and the scarf! It has to be comfortable, though, to stay warm and comfortable at the same time. I just make sure to shop at the right places.

What are your favourite stores to invade for new trendy wardrobe items?

It’s kind of a mix! If I’m passing by, in the Rideau Centre for example, and see really good places, I’ll give it a try and go from there. I also do thrifting like Value Village and stuff like that, because you know . . . student budgets!

Ben, fourth-year public affairs and policy management

Tell us what you’re wearing!

The pants are Levi’s, the shoes from Zara, the sweater is from Simons in Montreal, the coat is from Gap, and the portfolio is from my grandfather.

What motivates you to dress well on cold winter days?

My sister, probably! She would always tell me when what I was wearing wasn’t acceptable, so now I just think of what she would approve of.

Where are the style hotspots on campus, in your opinion? 

At the university centre, by the architecture building, for sure!

Where are your favourite places to shop at?

I don’t know actually. All of these pieces are from more than a year ago!

Loving Ghanem Style?

You can follow Michel Ghanem on twitter, @wtfmichel.