Photos by Lindsay Crone

The importance of dressing up when you’re coming to class and wandering the Carleton campus continues to be a central theme in Campus Style this year. It is a way to motivate and encourage students to impress their peers, and most importantly themselves. The Campus Style team was back outside this week to find out how students visualize a sartorially perfect campus. As the weather opens more opportunities to evolve your wardrobe, keep dressing to impress.

Style tip of the week: Visualize your outfit in your head before you fall asleep to avoid reaching for that pair of sweatpants when you roll out of bed.

Alanna, fourth-year commerce 

Coat: Steve Madden from a boutique

Shoes & Pants: The Bay

Sunglasses: Joe Fresh

If you were to choose what everyone wore on campus, how would students dress?

No one would be wearing leggings. I hate leggings. When did leggings even become pants? I find they are so unflattering on most people, and I don’t really like seeing ass cracks.

What should students wear instead of leggings?

I love coloured pants! Everyone in coloured pants. I love neutral tones as well.

Brendan, first-year industrial design

Backpack: red Herschel

Shoes: brown suede Vans

Jean Jacket & Pants: Levi’s from Urban Outfitters

Sweater: Christmas gift from friend at home

If you were to dress everyone on campus your way, what would they be wearing?

I guess everybody would be a lot classier – even more than what I’m wearing. I’d like to see more suits and stuff like that. I know they’re not the most comfortable thing but it would be really cool to see everyone looking all spiffy.

Why is it important to look ‘spiffy’ on campus?

It says a lot about who you are. Everybody makes first impressions based on what they see as well as what they hear, so you might as well turn all the odds in your favour.

Sydney, fourth-year history

Coat: Zara

Boots: Little Burgundy

Tights: Lululemon

Scarf: Birthday gift

Bag: Winners

If you were to give everyone on campus a wardrobe makeover, what would that look like?

Classy but comfortable. No sweat pants or anything like that. I don’t really care much for brands, though.

Why is it important to dress up on campus?

You’re on your way to becoming a professional, so I think it’s important to start dressing like you’re going to be in the workplace.

Are you looking “spiffy” this week? Tweet Michel Ghanem at @wtfmichel.