Photo by Nick Galipeau.

Campus Safety responded to a call for a drug-related incident in the third floor of the University Centre (UC) at 9:20 p.m. on Sept. 8, according to director of university safety Allan Burns.

Burns said Campus Safety officers responded to the call, which led them to a washroom in the UC where they found a small amount of marijuana. No suspects were identified, but Campus Safety is currently conducting an investigation.

The third floor of UC houses many Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) service centres. CUSA president Fahd Alhattab was present in the hall when Capmus Safety was called. He said CUSA REC Hall co-ordinators first contacted him because they observed suspicious activity.

“[The co-ordinators are] right across the hall from the washroom, and [they] had seen a few people enter the washroom and found it to be a bit suspicious,” Alhattab said. “[They] walked in and saw that there were drugs essentially that were placed in a water bottle that were being used and smoked in the bottle.”

The water bottle was one of the opaque green CUSA water bottles that were given out to students in March of this year, according to Alhattab.

He added the students responsible were not CUSA affiliated and that Campus Safety was immediately contacted after the discovery of the marijuana.

“REC Hall called me and said ‘this is what I saw’ and I said ‘call Campus Safety, that’s the procedure.’” Alhattab said. “Narcotics and drugs shouldn’t be on campus.”

Alhattab said the co-ordinators were suspicious because the students believed to be responsible were seen consistently using the washroom on the third floor at around 8 p.m.

Const. Marc Soucy from the Ottawa Police said they were contacted by Campus Safety to destroy the drugs. However, the identity of the students responsible is not yet known.

“No students related to the drugs were there at the time,” Burns said.