Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

A number of carts were reported stolen in the tunnels beneath Carleton between April 6-20, according to Campus Safety.

Campus Safety investigated the incidents at the time of the reports, said Mark Hargreaves, community liaison officer.

“The tunnel carts that were reported stolen were all recovered,” Hargreaves said.

He said they were most likely joyriding incidents as the carts were all found within Carleton’s tunnel system and never removed from campus.

“We see it happen time to time,” Hargreaves said. “It’s not something that happens very often, but it’s nothing we haven’t seen before.”

There were no suspects found, but Hargreaves said the crime would come with an appropriate punishment should someone be found.

“When you talk about follow-up action there are a couple different avenues that could be taken,” he said. “The most severe side would be laying a criminal charge and that would be for theft, mischief, or both.”

Hargreaves confirmed there was no reported damage made to the carts.

“By moving the carts, even though they’re still on the property they were stolen from where the owner left them, so it constitutes theft,” he added.

The tunnel carts are all owned by various departments on Carleton’s campus. Hargreaves said the security of the carts is up to the individual owners.