It’s been two months since the ByTowne Cinema, located in the Byward Market, reopened its doors to the public on Sept. 8 under new co-owners, Daniel Demois and Andy Willick.

As owners of two other independent cinemas, the Fox Theatre in Toronto and the Apollo Cinema in Kitchener, Ont., Demois and Willick arrived excited to bring their knowledge and passion for independent cinema to Ottawa audiences.

With the uncertainty of reopening a small business under new ownership, Demois said he is encouraged by the support they have received so far.

“You never know how people are going to respond to new people taking the reins,” Demois said. “But people have been very welcoming and supportive of us.”

Prior to reopening, the new owners successfully obtained a liquor licence. Demois said the initiative has been well-received and patrons are excited by the novelty of beer and wine at the movies.

“I get a kick out of seeing people discover and be excited about what our offerings are,” Demois said. “It is nice to get that validation that we’ve picked something that is interesting.”

Beers and ciders from many Ontario-based breweries such as Farmgate Cider, Dominion City and Kichesippi Beer can now be found on tap as part of the independent cinema’s efforts to support local businesses.

Farmgate Cider’s founder Jim Davies said he appreciates the theatre’s initiative to stay local and to support their business, based in Arnprior, Ont.

“They did the research in the local market, including getting and sampling our cider,” Davies said. “The [result] shows us a whole new palette of Ottawa-based vendors, which is really commendable.”

Michael O’Keefe, a longtime patron and host of the cinema-themed CKCU radio show ‘Mystic & Severe,’ attends regular press screenings at the ByTowne and said he enjoys the local assortment of beer and wine available at the concession. 

O’Keefe said he has tried a few of the different offerings recently, including the beer Pink Fuzz from local Ottawa brewery, Beyond the Pale.

Another change introduced by Demois and Willick is the new ByTowne Film Circle subscription, offered in addition to the original classic membership. 

For $299 annually or $24.99 monthly, subscribers gain unlimited access to movies monthly, a discount at the concession and access to members only screenings. In comparison, the classic membership offers $3.00 off regular ticket prices and a free movie during your birthday month for $13.26 annually.

Demois and Willick initially released 100 of these new subscriptions and they quickly sold out. They said they plan to wait and see how the first round of this new membership fares before releasing more. 

On O’Keefe’s radio show, he discusses a mix of mainstream, independant and international movies that often align with the ByTowne’s lineup. 

He said the quality of movies and ownership at both the ByTowne and Ottawa’s other independent cinema, the Mayfair Theatre, are something the people of Ottawa should be grateful to have.

“It’s really important that we appreciate the fact that we even have a ByTowne, as a lot of cities don’t. And we almost lost it,” O’Keefe said.

According to Demois, the independent theatre scene in Ottawa is unlike any other, housing a loyal and unique fanbase. In the past month, he said the ByTowne has seen extreme success with films that might not have been marketable elsewhere.

“There’s something in the water here, I don’t know what it is,” Demois said. “There have been some interesting surprises in what can work here because the audience is so sophisticated.”

Josh Stafford, co-owner of the Mayfair Theatre, also commended the commitment and diversity of Ottawa’s theatre patrons.

“To be in a city that has two single-screen, independent cinemas surviving is a true rarity,” Stafford said. “There are many bigger cities that do not have that so it’s cool that Ottawa can sustain that.”

Stafford said he appreciates the support the Mayfair continues to receive as they try to recover from pandemic closures and looks forward to a time without social distancing measures when every seat of a theatre can be utilized. 

When asked how the community can show support for Ottawa’s independent cinemas right now, he offered a simple suggestion. 

“It’s the simplest thing. Come to a movie,” Stafford said.

Featured image by Isaac Phan Nay.