Between DJ sets, skateboarding, and local art shows, the Fall Down Gallery is establishing itself as the swiss army knife of the Ottawa gallery scene.

Perched in the hustle and bustle of Bank Street, the gallery, which opened in May, has become a nest for up and coming Ottawa artists.

Owner Robbie Lariviere said he envisioned the space as a place for artists in the Ottawa scene that didn’t have the resources to put on a show otherwise.

Unlike most galleries in the area, Fall Down is a collective, ensuring costs are kept as low as possible for the artists.

“Anyone can submit art,” said Blair Smith, one of the gallery’s employees. “Because it is a collective, the commission prices are lower, and it allows us to bring in a wide variety of different artists.”

The gallery is split into three levels. On the upper floor, photographs jostle for attention beside massive paintings, while dominating the display is a breathtaking series “THE 7 CLANS” by artist Jason G. Mullins.

Each panel features symbolism and an animal from the Cherokee clan system. His work embraces traditional Cherokee art with a modern flavour through bright colours and bold lines.

The main floor is the primary display space, and features a mix of local art pieces, custom-printed clothing, and skate essentials like shoes and decks. Hand-painted cartoon figurines peer over shelves filled with sneakers, while an island in the middle shows off a mix of skateboard wheels and art supplies.

The basement is spartan, and features white walls adorned with hundreds of practice tags. “There’s some interesting stuff down there,” Smith said, “but there are a few [crude drawings] down there as well, so be careful.”

When the space was purchased, the walls were painted white. They act as blank canvases for practicing graffitti art, which ranges from elaborate tags to penis doodles. The only thing that remains unpainted is the walk-in vault.

Fall Down also hosts monthly art shows, which are a blend of art, food, drinks and music.

The event hosted Sept. 11 included two EP launches, a DJ set and the launch of the new art series. The next show will feature art by Phil Laporte and Pat Buck.

The gallery also carries clothing,  some of which has been designed by Lariviere and art supplies.

“[Selling supplies] is one more way we are able to support the scene and the community,” Smith said.

Fall Down Gallery hosted a party Sept. 11, which included two EP launches and a DJ playing all night long.

Photos by: Lasia Kretzel