Concerns grow for students and staff as the elevator near the newly renovated Tim Horton’s on the first floor of the University Centre (UC) is out of service.

The elevator has been out of service for about a week, making it difficult for students on campus to access service offices and study areas.

Students who require an elevator to reach the fifth floor for the Paul Menton Centre for Students with Disabilities (PMC), are unable to do so.

Facilities Management and Planning (FMP) addressed the issue in a press release.

“Facilities Management and Planning appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this outage,” the statement said. “Updates will be provided as more information becomes available.”

Larry McCloskey, director of the PMC, said the centre is adamant about finding a solution that benefits registered students.

“We’re definitely seeking a permanent solution, and have raised this with the new director of the physical plant,” he said.

Carleton currently has 3,000 students registered with the PMC, and McCloskey said the university needs to uphold obligations and responsibilities for these services.

“We have a big reputation in Canada, meaning that our obligation and expectations are higher—we have to live up to them,” he says.

McCloskey also said that it has been a long process for a permanent service fix.

The Charlatan tried to reach maintenance services for comment, but didn’t get back in time for publication. There is no timeline for when the UC elevator will be permanently fixed.

Photo by Graham Swaney