The first annual Capital Burlesque Expo was held April 4-6. (Photos by Kyle Fazackerley)

Ottawa has a new way of bringing sexy back—way back.

The first annual Capital Burlesque Expo was held April 4-6 in an attempt to attract attention to the Ottawa burlesque scene. Performers from all over Canada and the United States met at Barrymore’s for the climax of this three-day event.

The event was hosted by Capital Tease, with various affiliates and sponsors. But the idea was largely conceived by Koston Kreme, co-founder of Capital Tease Productions.

The first event of its kind locally, the hope is to bring attention to the burlesque scene and make the expo an annual affair.

aBurlesque30_KyleFazackerley_(WEB)Through the door of Barrymore’s, attendees were struck by the Cabaret meets Rocky Horror atmosphere. The burlesque scene, reminiscent of its vaudeville roots, gives off an air of 1920s class and sophistication. Pirates, wolfmen, dolls, divas, singers, dancers, pinup girls, and clowns were just a few of the many colourful guests who attended and presented at the expo.

“There’s a beauty in burlesque, it’s an art of presentation,” Velma Candyass, founder of Candyass Productions, said. Candyass performed at the expo.

True to its roots, the expo featured performances and attendees from all ages and walks of life. Every performer added their own unique take on the art of burlesque.

“[Burlesque] brings out the part of you you always wanted to express but couldn’t,” performer Foxy Douville said.

Some of the most notable acts included Twisted Knickers, a 40-and-older burlesque troupe who proved you are as young as you feel. Lady Hoops, the hula hoop artist whose hoop work could put the Miami Heat to shame, was another crowd favourite and Bianca Boom Boom stunned audiences with her amazing voice and fan routine.

Carleton’s own Audrey Hipturn wowed the crowd, swinging harder than Sinatra in a batting cage.

But Burlesque can also be about more than the show.

aBurlesque30_KyleFazackerley-1_(WEB)Sassy Muffin, a Carleton alumna and senior policy analyst for the federal government, said she started burlesque for fitness, lost 100 pounds in the process and ended up falling in love with the art form.

“It teaches you to love your body in any state and in all its forms. It teaches acceptance,” she said.

Though many people find different meanings in burlesque, everyone agreed the Expo had one goal in mind.

“The hope for this is to get people who aren’t really aware of the community to get more involved and come to more of the regular shows. Promoting the scene in and out of Ottawa,” Stanley Mansfield of the Mansfield Brothers vaudeville troupe said.

Sassy Muffin said she agrees, saying if “just one person who has never seen burlesque before becomes a total addict,” the Expo would have been a success.