Carleton University’s summer classes will be held online amid COVID-19 pandemic social distancing measures, the university announced in a statement today.

“We were very conscious of the need to communicate as rapidly as possible so that teaching staff and students can plan accordingly,” reads the statement from Jerry Tomberlin, Carleton University’s provost and vice-president (academic).

According to the statement, all summer 2020 courses at the university will be offered online through streaming and interactive methods such as BigBlueButton.

Summer registration dates and deadlines have also been extended in order to “give our academic leadership time to appropriately adjust the slate of summer course offerings,” reads the statement. 

The full schedule of summer course offerings will be available April 6, with registration beginning on April 16—three weeks later than the original deadline.

Due to the delayed registration period, summer classes will also begin later on May 4.

The statement also notes international experiential learning opportunities will be cancelled for the summer term and that students should expect to be contacted by placement coordinators “to determine alternative options.”

Featured image from file.