Graphic by Helen Mak.

Students voted overwhelmingly in favour of continuing fall reading week, according to the results of the Nov. 11-14 referendum.

The results were released in a university Senate report compiled by Donald Russell, chair of the Senate Committee on Curriculum, Admission and Studies Policy (SCCASP). The report said 11,481 students voted in the referendum, about 40.6 per cent of the total student population.

Approximately 85 per cent of those students voted: “Yes, I am in favour of continuing fall reading week.”

“SCCASP therefore recommends to Senate that the fall break be incorporated in the the academic schedule on an ongoing basis,” the report concluded.

While the results are positive for the continuing of the fall break, the decision is not official.

Suzanne Blanchard, associate vice-president (students and enrolment), said the Senate takes student opinion into consideration when making a decision, but ultimately the decision is in the Senate’s hands.

The final decision is expected at the Nov. 28 Senate meeting.

The report also dispelled some myths surrounding the fall reading week.

“There is no evidence to suggest any change in student performance as a result of the inclusion of the fall break,” reads the report to the Senate, included with the results.

Faculty and teaching assistants were mostly in favour of the fall break, according to the report.

A fall reading week that corresponded with Thanksgiving would not be possible,  the report suggested, but revising the fall reading week dates to include Remembrance Day was considered, according to the report.

Having a fall reading week means exams can be held on Sundays and the exam period will last one day longer.

The report said the fall break “will normally be in the 7th or 8th full week of the term.”

The poll showed 93.3 per cent of first-year undergraduate students voted yes to a fall reading week. Only 72.3 per cent of fourth-year undergraduate students voted yes.

While the number of yes votes were high overall, the poll was divided by faculty. Approximately 24 per cent of engineering and design undergraduates voted no, compared to around 10-15 per cent in some other faculties.