Carleton’s Steacie building and surrounding areas are being evacuated due to fire and chemical hazard as of 7 p.m. today.

Steacie, Herzberg Laboratories, and Richcraft are currently inaccessible both by tunnels and main level entrances.

Students have been informed via email and emergency text messages.

Campus safety said they cannot provide further information right now.

Facilities and Management Planning (FMP) said they are not involved in the evacuation process.

According to the Ottawa Fire Services, arsenic, hydrogen peroxide in low levels, and hydrogen flouride have been detected in the room where the fire initially started. But, while not confirmed, the fire is said to have been started because of an electrical problem and not a chemical one.

Update #1 (as of Jan. 26, 8:59 p.m.)

Update #2 (as of Jan. 27, 12:58 p.m.) 

In an email, Carleton Safety confirmed that Steacie Building will remain closed through Monday, Jan. 28 in order to continue repairs and clean up after the fire.

“Most of tomorrow’s classes, labs and tutorials scheduled in the Steacie building have been moved to an alternate location. Course instructors have been notified and will communicate these changes with their students via their Carleton email account,” an email sent to students stated.

According to the update, Richcraft Hall, Health Sciences and Herzberg buildings have reopened and classes will continue as scheduled in those buildings.

Update #3 (as of Jan. 28, 1:07 p.m.) 

Steacie Building will be opened for classes and labs as per normal scheduling hours on Tuesday, Jan. 29, according to the latest update issued to students, faculty and staff via email.

“Ottawa Fire Services has deemed the building safe and turned it over to the university. Clean up has been focused on water and smoke damage,” the statement read.

Students have been asked to not wander into restricted areas, however.

“Certain areas of the building will remain closed at this time for additional repairs and clean up. For safety reasons, please respect all barricades and notices and do not enter restricted areas,” the email stated.

Further updates to come.

Photo by Temur Durrani