Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

Carleton University’s Senate approved a motion today to postpone the June convocation ceremony to a later date in light of COVID-19.

The decision comes after the University of Ottawa announced March 26 they would be cancelling their June ceremony, following in the footsteps of other universities across Ontario.

Carleton University administration members said they “fully intend” to reschedule, according to a statement put out by Suzanne Blanchard, who is leading the university’s COVID-19 Steering Committee.

“Graduating students should take heart that this is a postponement and not a cancellation,” the statement reads. “[W]e fully intend to reschedule and give everyone the well-deserved opportunity to walk across the stage.”

A new date has not yet been set, but the university said it would be rescheduling in accordance with health guidelines.

“It goes without saying that rescheduling will have to take into account guidelines and regulations from health authorities and the provincial and federal governments,” the statement by Blanchard read.

Students who meet degree requirements and are set to graduate in the spring will still be officially graduating on June 19, according to Blanchard.

All in-person events taking place at Carleton before June 30 have been cancelled or moved to a later date in light of the global pandemic, with classes moved online for the remainder of the semester and into the summer term.

Those wishing to receive their diplomas in the mail can make arrangements with the Registrar’s Office.

More to come.

Featured image from file.