Both classes and exams will no longer be happening face-to-face for the remainder of the winter semester, according to the latest update from university administration.

Carleton announced Friday evening exams will not be happening in-person during the winter semester. The latest announcement added academic accommodations would not require a doctor’s note in light of COVID-19.

The latest update on Carleton’s Facebook page. [Screenshot]
Class will be cancelled on Monday and Tuesday next week, and will be happening online Wednesday onwards, according to an email sent out by university administration on Friday.

The cancellation gives teaching staff time to prepare for delivering class content online, adds the statement.

“Being both prepared and flexible is essential to making the best possible decisions at the right time,” reads the statement.

Work continues for faculty and staff and campus remains open, including the library and residence buildings.

While there are no cases on campus, some students are self isolating. Carleton suspended all travel outside of the U.S. “not vital to our academic mission,” according to an email sent to students and faculty on Thursday.

The email, sent at 2:48 p.m. on Thursday with the subject line “Preparing for COVID-19 – Update,” also provided advice on health precautions students should take, a summary of events cancelled on campus, and the prospect of classes being cancelled for the rest of the semester.

There are no cases of COVID-19 on Carleton’s campus, but several students are self-isolating due to recent travel, according to the email.

“The semester is not at risk but we may have to move to online instruction for the remaining of the term. This could happen as quickly as next week,” read the email sent by president Benoit-Antoine Bacon.

Board of Governor’s provost Jerry Tomberlin and deputy provost Lorraine Dyke are leading efforts to create “contingency plans that aim to ensure we can complete the winter term and exam period,” according an earlier statement released on Wednesday. They will be communicating these plans soon, the statement adds.

The Board of Governor’s will be meeting on Thursday.

At Laurentian University, classes are continuing online only until further notice, according to a statement released on March 11.

Multiple upcoming events due to take place at Carleton have been cancelled amidst fears of coronavirus.

Jody Wilson-Raybould was due to give a lecture on Thursday, but an email circulated Thursday afternoon said the event was cancelled due to “health concerns” surrounding coronavirus.

A national high school robotics competition hosted by First Robotics Canada, due to take place at Carleton over the weekend has also been cancelled.

Carleton said several “large” events due to happen on campus are being cancelled, including Relay for Life, the Athletics March Break Camp and the March break open house.

Carleton “is monitoring the situation closely”, in a statement released by Bacon on Wednesday, and the school has had a working group meeting regularly since January, led by vice-president (student enrolment) Suzanna Blanchard, who is focusing on campus health mitigation efforts.

The statement adds Carleton has been “following the advice of Ottawa Public Health,” and Blanchard is collaborating with the health organization with these mitigation efforts.

Laurentian University became the first school in Canada to cut back operations as a result of COVID-19. Iran was the first country to close schools, and Italy followed soon after, closing all their universities on March 4.

Laurentian University is in Sudbury, where there is one confirmed case of coronavirus. 

The school remains open despite the cancelled events and classes.

“We understand that changes in our day-to-day operations will create challenges and disruptions, however we believe the risk of not taking actions is of greater concern to our community,” said a statement released by Laurentian University to students.

More to come.

Feature image from file.