[Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

This story contains mention of sexual misconduct and hazing. Those in need of support can call the Ottawa Distress Centre Crisis Line: 613-238-3311, the Sexual Assault Support Center of Ottawa Crisis Line: 613-234-2266.

UPDATE: Steven Reid, Carleton University’s media relations officer, responded to CUSA’s statement on Dec. 22. Carleton does not recognize fraternities and sororities as “affiliated entities,” Reid’s emailed statement read.

“As independent, external organizations, the University has no official relationship with them and does not, in any way, permit their operation on campus (including but not limited to reserving space, hosting events and/or recruiting),” the statement read. “Unauthorized use of Carleton University spaces should be reported to Campus Safety Services for review under the Student Rights and Responsibilities and other relevant policies.”

The university has yet to release a public statement on the matter.

The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) issued a statement Dec. 21 addressing recent allegations of hazing within the university’s Greek life community. The statement called for “additional enforcement” of university policy.

The statement was signed by all six members of CUSA’s executive team. 

Those executive members are Mohamed “Faris” Riazudden (CUSA president), Emilia De Jesus Peixoto (vice-president student issues), Eman Elnaidany (vice-president student life), Logan Breen (vice-president internal), Patrick Ene (vice-president community engagement) and Sean Joe-Ezigbo (vice-president finance).

The statement follows the Charlatan’s Oct. 30 report, which detailed six students’ accounts of alleged hazing within Alpha Pi Phi’s (APP) Carleton chapter sorority.

The sources’ allegations include: hand-feeding ice cream to nude APP mentors; a culture of substance abuse; incidents of sexual misconduct; delayed investigations relating to these incidents; a student’s mental health decline; and performing a “sexual” dance in front of hundreds of people at an event called Greek Olympics.

“While CUSA has no direct authority over Greek Letter Organizations, CUSA still has a role to play in providing support for students affected by these organizations and in advocating for Carleton University to take a stand in response to the recent allegations,” the statement reads.

“In managing the relationship with Greek Letter Organizations, Carleton University should stand up for the safety of their students. In the past, the university has increased enforcement on tabling, spontaneous classroom meetings, and postering.”

The Charlatan has reached out to CUSA’s executive team for further comment. 

CUSA said in the statement that “additional enforcement” of existing university policy is necessary to manage Greek letter organizations.

In a Nov. 9 email to the Charlatan, Carleton media relations officer Steven Reid wrote, “Carleton University does not recognize sororities and fraternities as affiliated entities. These groups are considered unofficial student organizations that operate independently off campus.”

“The University does not provide space for any non-accredited groups,” Reid added in the email. “Students who have concerns about individuals using space on campus may contact the Office of Student Affairs.

The Charlatan has reached out to Reid for comment regarding CUSA’s statement on Greek letter organizations. 

According to Carleton’s space booking policy, “The University has the right and responsibility to manage the use of, and access to, its interior and exterior space to ensure that the University’s academic and non-academic activities, the safety of the community and facilities, and the University’s reputation are not compromised.”

Several students criticized Riazudden’s interactions with students regarding the hazing allegations, the Charlatan previously reported.

“We believe statements alone might not bring about the necessary changes,” Riazudden told the Charlatan on Nov. 30, adding CUSA council is responsible for formal stances. 

The Dec. 21 statement said Riazudden is now pushing for “CUSA Council to take a formal stance limiting CUSA’s relationship with Greek Letter Organizations.”

“Faris is seeking a CUSA Councillor to second the stance so that it can be considered at the January 2024 CUSA Council Meeting.”

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.