Text:
[Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

UPDATE: A motion to cancel CUSA’s non-binding referendum on its membership in the CFS failed to pass with only one councillor in favour, one councillor opposed and the rest abstaining.

Councillor Kassidy Hammond, who proposed the motion, said the non-binding referendum was “ceremonial” and “not valuable” to students. Councillor Katelyn Madigan voted against Hammond’s motion.

The Canadian Federation of Students (CFS) filed an injunction to stop the Carleton University Students’ Association’s (CUSA) non-binding referendum on its membership in the Canada-wide student union.

CUSA and the CFS are set to appear in court Oct. 14 at 2 p.m., CUSA lawyer David Foster said in a meeting with CUSA council Thursday evening.

Last weekend, Gowling WLG, the law firm representing the CFS, informed CUSA president Anastasia Lettieri the CFS would motion to stop CUSA from holding its non-binding referendum starting Oct. 17. 

The CFS claims that by holding the referendum, CUSA would be violating CFS bylaws and causing the union irreparable harm due to the potential lost fees. 

The CFS is seeking an interim injunction lasting 10 days. Foster said this is to prepare for a longer-term injunction. 

On Oct. 6, Mitra Yakubi, CFS Ontario chairperson, told the Charlatan CUSA is not violating any bylaws by holding a non-binding referendum.

CUSA executives have made it clear the referendum is non-binding, but the CFS is proceeding with the motion regardless, Foster said.

The CUSA Board of Directors has discussed the student union’s strategy moving forward. CUSA council, which unanimously endorsed leaving the CFS on Sept. 26, is now debating the student union’s next steps.

Updates to follow as they become available.

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.