BREAKING: Carleton to change academic progress assessments

424
Text:
[Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

Carleton University announced it will make changes to how it evaluates students’ academic progress starting this fall. In an email sent to students on June 8, the university said academic progress will now be evaluated at the end of each term beginning in second year.

This change will be implemented under a new framework named the Academic Continuation Evaluation (ACE), according to the email. Under the previous Academic Performance Evaluation (APE) available on Carleton Central, progress was reviewed every academic year. 

According to Section 3.2.1 of the Undergraduate Academic Regulations, the first evaluation will be made once 5.5 credits or more have been completed. This means the evaluation will be effective after students’ first credit is obtained under second-year student status. 

“This new framework allows for first year leniency, rewards incremental progress and also signals when students may benefit from additional advising,” the email read. 

The standard minimum CGPA requirement has also been waived for all undergraduate students with fewer than 5.5 complete credits.

Credits obtained through the University of Ottawa Exchange will also be evaluated under the new framework. All completed courses, including repeated ones, that result in a passing grade will count toward the evaluation. 

More information will be sent later this summer, according to the email.

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.