The Carleton Ravens football team practice at TAAG Field in October 2020. [Photo By Tim Austen]

Carleton University announced in a press release Friday it has created a multi-million dollar fund that will invest in the Ravens football program.

The John Ruddy Endowment Fund, named after the Ravens’ former quarterback and benefactor of the fund, contains an initial $1 million investment. Carleton plans to attract another $5 million in further philanthropic support, but the press release did not contain any details as to how the university would do so.

Ruddy is also the Executive Chairman of the Trinity Development Group, a partner of the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group that’s heavily involved with development plans for Lansdowne 2.0.

Ruddy previously donated $5 million to Carleton, a donation that was “instrumental in bringing back the Ravens football team in 2013,” according to the press release.

The funds will be used to develop Ravens both on and off the field. The press release said it will enhance academic mentorships, specialized coaching, recruiting programs and financial aid.

“Competitiveness in sport will always be important, but it’s not the only indicator of success,” Ravens football head coach Corey Grant said in the press release. “We plan to build a culture that values well-being, celebrates the individual differences within the team, puts community values at the centre of everything, and ultimately helps student-athletes win on the field and in their lives.”

Featured image by Tim Austen