[Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

The vice-president of programming and the vice-president of administration of the Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) both have resigned. 

RRRA president Mohammed Akif announced the resignations at the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) council meeting on Sept. 30.

“Both of my [vice-presidents] made a valuable contribution to our organization during their time,” Akif told CUSA councillors, adding that he respects the former vice-presidents’ decisions to “pursue new opportunities.”

Both vice-presidents were elected by residence students last April to serve on the association’s executive team for the 2024-25 academic year. 

Quinn Cunnane, the now-former vice-president of programming, is a fourth-year commerce student and former residence fellow. Jacky Chan, the now-former vice-president of administration, is a public affairs and policy management student and former RRRA councillor. 

Akif did not specify the dates of the resignations. The Charlatan reached out to Cunnane and Chan for further comment, but did not receive a response from either in time for publication. 

At RRRA, the vice-president of programming is responsible for student outreach and event planning. The vice-president of administration plays a key role in organizing the election of RRRA councillors, as well as addressing dining, social justice and sustainability issues in residence. 

Without any acting vice-presidents, Akif is currently the sole member of the RRRA executive team. 

“Leadership changes are a natural part of any organization’s growth,” Akif said in the meeting. “This gives us an opportunity to bring in fresh perspectives.”

Information about the vice-presidential byelections will be released on social media on Oct. 1, Akif told CUSA council. 

The association will also hold elections for councillors starting on Oct. 3, Akif added. 

RRRA councillors each represent a floor of a residence building and are responsible for voicing students’ concerns at council meetings and committees, which have yet to be established. 

“The organization remains strong and focused on serving the students,” Akif said. “We are committed to [a] smooth transition to ensure that our initiatives keep moving ahead without disruption.”

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi