Seven undergraduate and five graduate students are in the running for four positions to sit on Carleton’s highest decision-making body, the Board of Governors (BoG).

In this position, members of the BoG have the responsibility to represent all of the students at the university. The elected candidates will serve a one-year term from July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018.

Amanda Goth, the university secretary, said the number of students running in the election this year is positive.

“It shows that our student body is interested in the governance of the university and willing to volunteer their time to contribute to the greater good of Carleton,” Goth said. “Having student representation on the Board of Governors gives the students perspective and experience, which is invaluable in making decisions for the university as a whole.” 

At its March 2016 meeting, the BoG voted to update their bylaws so that student unions such as the Carleton University Students’ Association and the Graduate Students’ Association wouldn’t have reserved seats on the board. Instead, they would have to run in elections like every other candidate.

All information below is from the official candidate bios posted on the BoG website.

Undergraduate Candidates

Peter Brown is a third-year economics and global politics student. Brown said he has a lot to bring to the table, such as the ability to analyze proposals and decisions, as well as turning large-scale ideas into realistic action plans.

Sheldon Paul is a first-year political science student, minoring in drama studies. His platform includes bringing the various skills he has acquired during his volunteer experience with both the Rideau River Residence Association and on Parliament Hill to the BoG.

Adnan Hajar is a third-year student majoring in software engineering. Hajar said he loves listening to people and will voice people’s opinions and advocate for their concerns if elected to the BoG.

Waleed Adebayo is a third-year economics student. Adebayo said his background in economics and his parliamentary experience will help him communicate with the student body and bring any concerns to the BoG.

Liam Harrington is a fourth-year law and legal studies student. Harrington’s platform includes establishing a student-specific BoG handbook that can be passed on to future student governors, to help guide them as they transition into their positions. He also plans to update students about discussions had at meetings to address any questions or concerns.

Efrem Berhe is a fourth-year student majoring in public affairs and policy management, with a specialization in international studies. Berhe said he is  knowledgeable about the issues students and post-secondary institutions face, and is able to clearly communicate.

Gaelan Kirby is a third-year civil engineering student. He said he would continue to fight against tuition increases, and believes he can help make the university more transparent and fair.

Graduate Candidates

Natalie Prowse is a second-year master of science student. Prowse said she would be a strong advocate for graduate students on the BoG. Her platform includes striving for greater consultation and engagement before decisions impacting students are made.

Rebecca Stiles is a second-year PhD candidate in management. Stiles said she believes in the importance of good governance and political participation. She said members of the BoG have the responsibility to do so in the most equitable, transparent, honourable, and compassionate way possible. 

Stuart McKay is a fourth-year PhD candidate in history. McKay said his knowledge of university administration and government policies, and with graduate student issues, would be beneficial as a member of the BoG.

Rob Currie-Wood is a first-year PhD candidate in political science. Currie-Wood said universities must strike a balance between corporate management and student well-being if they are to remain vital public institutions. He added his professional experience will help inform BoG discussions.

Lucille Perreault is in the third-year of her PhD in management. She said her experience as both a teaching assistant and a contract instructor allowed her to gain an understanding of the challenges graduate students face when also confronted with class work and research demands. If elected as a member of the BoG, she said she would ensure the graduate student standpoint is well understood.

Polling stations will be held in Tory tunnel junction outside of the University Centre Atrium and in Athletics, in the main lobby of Alumni Hall on March 13-14. Students can also vote online through their Carleton email accounts.