Thirteen undergraduate and three graduate students are in the running to fill four student governor spots on Carleton’s highest governing body, the Board of Governors (BoG).

This marks an overall increase from the 2018 BoG student governor elections, which saw 12 candidates. However, the number of graduate candidates has decreased by two while an extra six undergraduates are running this year.

All information below, in alphabetical order by last name, is from the official candidate bios posted on the BoG website.

Undergraduate Candidates

Taylor Arnt is a second-year public affairs and policy management student with experience working for the Rotaract Club of Ottawa South and Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada. Arnt’s platform promises include increased accountability, transparency and consultations for students, as well as a “fairer budget.”

Vika Bereza is a third-year political science student, and is also an executive with the Carleton Political Science Society and a campus tour guide. She said she would speak up for student issues, while identifying her attention to detail and communication skills as assets.

Angelle Bourdon is a third-year sociology and psychology student who said she has been advocating for different causes for 15 years. Citing previous experience as a member of committees and boards, Bourdon said she would be active in the role as student governor and would appreciate others’ work.

Leo Bourgeois is a second-year law student. Bourgeois has served on Carleton’s peer conduct board and worked for Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada. His platform points include advocating for increased mental health and counselling services on campus, as well as more study spaces.

Andrew Carr is a first-year communications and media studies student. He has worked at Camp Trillium, a camp for children affected by cancer, and has volunteered with the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA). Carr said he is hardworking and would educate students about mental health resources on campus.

Claire Cole is a third-year criminology and criminal justice student. She cited her experience volunteering in her community and coaching soccer and field hockey as assets for the student governor position. Cole said she would take a proactive approach to improve student life and education at Carleton.

Jakob Graham is a third-year psychology student. Graham has acted as an executive on the Sprott Finance Students’ Association and as a brand ambassador for CUSA’s entrepreneurship centre, Hatch. He said he wants to increase transparency on the BoG and give students a voice.

Adnan Hajar is a fourth-year software engineering student. Hajar said he has developed a non-government organization that encourages art therapy to support mental health, while his platform emphasizes his communication skills and desire to voice students’ concerns.

Mahmoud Sabry is a third-year sustainable and renewable energy engineering student. He has served as a Carleton Academic Student Government executive and as a CUSA engineering councillor. Sabry said he wants to regulate international student fees and focus on mental health issues.

Ken Lumsden is a second-year chemistry student who is also a science student senator on Carleton’s Senate and a member of the MacOdrum Library Committee. His platform highlights accessibility through consulting with students and making the BoG more transparent.

Yvonne Osagie is a fourth-year neuroscience and mental health student. Osagie is a CUSA science councillor whose platform includes lowering tuition fees and pushing for adjustments to Carleton’s Sexual Violence Policy.

Nicole Purcell is a third-year law student. She is a graduate from the University of Guelph and previously held a seat on its senate. Purcell’s platform points include bringing awareness to the issue of student debt and involving students in the university’s budget process.

Madison Ranta is a third-year journalism student. Ranta is the president of Reporters Without Borders at Carleton and was elected as a CUSA public affairs councillor for 2018-19. She said she would work with other board members to achieve their goals and also  carefully read BoG documents to raise concerns at meetings.

Graduate Candidates

Matthew Lee is a first-year masters of infrastructure protection student. During his undergrad, he served on the engineering faculty board and student board of directors. Lee said he would seek to help the university provide the resources students need to make an impact on society.

Alaine Spiwak is a first-year masters of international affairs student. She previously served two terms as the president of the Trent Central Student Association at Trent University, where she completed her undergraduate degree. Spiwak said she aims to make sure Carleton champions social justice and sustainability initiatives.

Elise Wohlbold is a fourth-year PhD candidate in law and legal studies. Wohlbold is the human rights officer for the Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 4600 and has worked with local non-government organizations. She said she would be willing to take risks while being supportive of Board colleagues and would like to bring an appreciation of diversity to the table.

Students will be able to vote online through their Carleton email accounts on March 12-13.

Photo by Aaron Hemens