File photo.

At its most recent meeting on March 23, Carleton’s Board of Governors (BoG) voted to approve the 2017-18 ancillary budgets.

The ancillary budgets represent units that operate outside the operations of the university, and aren’t included in the operating revenues or expenses of the university. Three out of the nine ancillary fees are taken directly from student tuition fees.  

Ed Kane, Carleton’s assistant vice-president (university services), went through each of the nine ancillary budgets up for approval.

Physical Recreation and Athletics

With $18 million in deferred maintenance, Athletics has the second-highest deferred maintenance costs of all nine units included in the ancillary budget.

The department is expecting to run a $1.18 million deficit. While ancillary units are meant to be self-sufficient and support themselves through the revenue they generate, Kane said facilities such as the pool cost a lot to maintain, which is why Athletics tends to be funded by the other ancillary units.

Athletics generates 39 per cent of its revenue from student fees, as well as 39 per cent from program and membership fees. Rentals, sponsorships, and fundraising make up the rest.

Housing & Residence Life, Conference and Dining Services

Plans for the summer include phase two of a $5 million renovation on the Glengarry residence building, as well as upgrades to the Wi-Fi in residence.

Kane said they are projecting a “good year” for Conference Services, thanks to the Canada 150 celebrations that will be taking place in Ottawa over the summer.

Also included in the budget is an increase in residence board fees, ranging between two to 2.4 per cent.

Housing and residence life, conference and dining services—which are all grouped together—have the highest deferred maintenance with $24.5 million.

Bookstore

While the bookstore has seen a lot of changes over the last few years, Kane said there’s been an increase in book rentals and in used book sales.

In 2016-17, the bookstore was able to pay off a $2.5 million loan it took out in 2003 related to the expansion of the University Centre, and is now debt-free.

Health & Counselling Services

Health & Counselling Services sees about 40,000 visits each year, according to Kane. The 2016-17 year saw the hiring of a sexual assault counsellor, adding to the 12 counsellors already employed by Health & Counselling.

Kane said they are budgeting for an accumulated surplus of $702,000 by the end of the year, which will be used for future renovations and upgrades.

Parking Services

Included in the 2017-18 budget is a $1 increase in the daily weekend parking rate, from $4 to $5. Fees for staff and student permits will also increase by three per cent this year, while total deferred maintenance for Parking Services is $10 million.

University Centre

According to Kane, Facilities and Management Planning is in the process of preparing a capital plan for the University Centre, although the age of the building presents a challenge. Deferred maintenance for the building is estimated at $11 million.

The Print Shop

Included under the Print Shop is the Campus Card, which Kane said averages 1.2 million transactions a month. Eighty per cent of transactions involve using the card for access to buildings on campus, while the rest is used to swipe for meal plans and to make purchases, among other things.

Ancillary property rentals

Included in this category are the Carleton Technology and Training Centre (CTTC) and the National Wildlife and Research Centre (NWRC).

Since 2002, Carleton has leased the NWRC to Environment Canada, and receives a base rent of $1.3 million per year, for the first 25 years of the agreement.

Deferred maintenance for both of these properties is estimated at $4 million.

Ancillary Capital Fund

This fund is in place to support any future capital projects the other ancillaries may need, and is supported by third-party leases and internal contributions from some of the other ancillaries.

According to Kane, total deferred maintenance for the university is $67.5 million. Of the nine units included in the ancillary budgets, four have no deferred maintenance. The 2017-18 ancillary budgets are anticipated to generate a surplus, which will be applied towards deferred maintenance, the board heard.

The BoG’s next and final meeting of the 2016-17 year meeting will be on April 24.

– File photo