Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

Building plans for a new student residence and a proposed tuition letter were on the agenda at the final Board of Governors meeting of the 2013-14 school year on June 25.

Carleton’s new residence plans were originally scheduled for building in 2016, but the plans have been pushed back to 2017 after further consideration during the building program meeting on June 24, according to Barry Hobin, chair of the building program and a board member.

“The demand for a new residence may not be as strong as it once was,” Hobin said.

The location for the proposed student residence will be north of Leeds House, and will accommodate between 450-500 students.

However, the location is not ideal as the soil is difficult to build on due to it’s proximity to Dow’s Lake, a problem that is consistent across campus, according to Hobin.

The university set aside $2 million for the building’s design plans, but Hobin said they have not used “nearly that much” as of now.

Also at the meeting, Carleton’s president Roseann Runte brought up the ongoing issue of student tuition increases. While the board originally voted in March 2014 to write one letter, Runte mentioned plans to write a letter with all Ontario universities directed to the provincial government about the matter, adding that Carleton will send its own letter in addition.

The two letters will be similar in content, with two main points: to call for a tuition freeze and to provide additional funding to universities, Runte said.

The letter should be completed in the fall term, she said.