Photo by Julien Gignac.

Last month I wrote an article about Bluesfest and the opportunity it brings for local artists, specifically focusing on New Swears. One of the topics of discussion with New Swears was how tight-knit the local music scene within Ottawa was—nearly every band is familiar with and actively supports one another.

This month I managed to meet up with The Yips, a local group who produces some truly outstanding gothic punk music, described by the band themselves as “Ouija rock.” The Yips are not only seriously talented musicians but, along with the New Swears, some of the most friendly and honest people I’ve met (not to mention downright hilarious).

The Charlatan: The main focus of this interview is to get an idea of how Bluesfest can impact the local music scene here in Ottawa, so I’d like to start by asking how it feels to be a part of the Bluesfest lineup this year.

Jon Schofield: Good, really good. Obviously being from around here and going to it every year, it’s great to be a part of it.

TC: How’d you get the part?

Zach Lebert: We applied!

Kurt Rafuse: I don’t think we’re quite at the point where Bluesfest would be soliciting us, but we applied and got in. I know a lot of people who’ve played in Bluesfest in the past and they’re always talking about how supportive they are in giving local talent a once in a lifetime opportunity to play such a big stage with such a big crowd.

ZL: We’ve put in multiple Bluesfest applications over the years.

TC: So is it like an extensive process to get in?

KR: No it’s like several multiple choice questions and then two paragraph questions like, “write a band bio that’s no more than 250 words,” or “share with us in 250 words what your best show was.”

TC: What did you say for the best show you’ve done?

KR: We said it was our second EP release, Heirloom, and we played at Gabba Hey! where there’s a large open room that serves as a venue of sorts. It was just getting going and we played to a full house with some other bands and it was the first time—which has now become a sort of staple for our shows—that people dressed up as Rave Ghosts, which is an image that is generally associated with us. At the end everyone threw their sheets up in the rafters and they were there throughout the next week!

TC: Are you expecting Rave Ghosts at Bluesfest?

JS: Hopefully, yeah.

Jon Bennet: As long as people can bear the heat.

KR: What’s interesting is that the Rave Ghost was actually born at Bluesfest at a Skrillex show.

TC: So from what I can tell, a lot of the Ottawa bands know each other. Would you agree?

JS: Yeah that’s definitely true.

KR: And if not know at least we know of each other or have heard of them.

TC: So you all support each other?

The whole band: Yeah!

TC: Do you anticipate running into other artists backstage?

KR: Well we have access to the backstage of our stage at least—there’s also an artists’ area where you can get food and beer and even a place for massages. I’ve heard stories from other people who have bumped into people of note.

Kerri Carisse: I saw the year that Bjork played that she hung back and watched everyone play, like she saw Death Grips and was like, “I love that band.” And ended up working with them after.

KR: New Swears bumped into Mykki Blanco and he apparently ended up being featured on their last release [Junk Food Forever, Bed Time Whatever].

TC: Are you all from Ottawa initially?

KC: Not all of us—Jon Ben and I went to elementary school together.

JS: And high school in Kanata. Kurtie is from South Porcupine [Timmins, Ontario], but you’ve been here for a while, right?

KR: I’ve been here for like twelve years, but I’m from Northern Ontario originally.

KC: And Zackie is from Woodstock.

TC: So what do you guys think of Ottawa having all lived here for so long?

KR: It’s definitely home.

KC: I really love downtown. I didn’t grow up in the downtown area but it’s always been this sort of really cool place I could go. Now that I live here I love it even more with the social/cultural things it brings.

JS: It was cool to grow up with Ottawa—you can sort of see how it’s become bigger and more vibrant with so much more going on. It seems like there’s something for everyone.

KR: Jon Ben, how old were you when you went downtown for the first time?

JB: I think I was like 17. I was so excited on the bus ride there.

KR: In terms of music, you hit the nail on the head when you asked if we support each other. In Ottawa, especially in the rock and roll and punk or garage scene, I host shows in my basement and stuff. You’ll have guys from Toronto in really successful bands and they’ll talk with envy about how tight-knit and vibrant and great the shows are here when they come play. We’re hearing feedback from other people about how tight-knit and supportive Ottawa is compared to the scenes they play in. For music, Ottawa can be a great place.

TC: It’s kind of heartwarming hearing people speak so highly of Ottawa.

KR: Well the music industry is very DIY—there’s always the complaint that it lacks infrastructure, which is true for some people. There aren’t too many of us who are like “I wanna quit my job so I can be a full-time musician.” Like we all have jobs, we just like playing music. Things in Ottawa are just kind of run by people who care a lot—it’s not like institutionalized or anything. You just need to be in the right circle and like the right Facebook pages to hear what’s going on. I can sympathize with someone who came to Ottawa and didn’t know about any shows.

ZL: Nobody is gonna fuckin’ call you and be like “Hey come check out this sick show.” You just need to kind of find out what’s going on yourself.

KC: It’s like that famous article about Ottawa that was like, “if you’re in Ottawa, check out the Wine Rack.”

TC: To be fair, the Wine Rack is open pretty late.

KR: I always miss The Beer Store on Sundays so it’s like “Guess I’m drinking wine tonight.” That extra hour is all you need.