Photo by Trevor Swann

It’s funny how the few weeks following the RBC Ottawa Bluesfest give us both time to breathe and to reflect on the hectic nine days that make up the city’s most anticipated local music festival. It is now when we can really see how this year’s festival stacks up to the ones in previous years.

Despite the looming threat of thunderstorms across both weekends, the workers, volunteers, and festival goers persevered and made the 2016 edition of Bluesfest a success. Also, with a festival lineup that has something for in store for everyone, it’s hard to argue that this year was anything but diverse.

Headlining acts such as Schoolboy Q, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and The Lumineers brought on a great deal of buzz with all three celebrating newly released albums this Spring and Summer. There was certainly a lot of new content to be heard.

As well, familiar Canadian names like Coeur De Pirate, Yukon Blonde and Half Moon Run successfully fulfilled the 35 per cent CanCon requirement. Though smaller local acts like Pup, Jazz Cartier, and The Yips drew in condensed but loyal crowds.

There was definitely a lot of variety this year, which I believe to be of the utmost importance for Bluesfest. Even though Earl Sweatshirt and Awolnation aren’t exactly blues artists, the festival has grown to be something more than just a genre. As a result, I think it’s time to let go of the idea of a festival of blues music (though I do love that blues scale).

Week one was undoubtedly exciting with Schoolboy Q, Billy Idol, John Fogerty, and The Lumineers all headlining. Q tore the grounds apart with an absurdly large and hyped up crowd for the release of his new album “Blank Face LP,” which dropped that night.

However, despite having an entire new LP of new content, Q stuck to the favourites and played hits like “Collard Greens” and “Man of the Year” from 2014’s “Oxymoron,” along with new singles like “That Part.”

All things considered, I think this was a smart move for Q. We don’t get big rappers like him in Ottawa often and I was happy to see him play the most hype and well-known songs.

Some local Ottawa acts like Suits ‘n Toques and The Heavy Medicine Band rounded out the first week of Bluesfest with some hometown pride. Both acts were exciting to experience and really flexed their musical muscles to put on spectacular sets for growing audiences as they opened up the first few days of the festival.

However, I believe July 15 was the most anticipated day and it’s pretty clear why.

Photo by Kyle Fazackerley
Photo by Kyle Fazackerley

The Red Hot Chili Peppers made Bluesfest history by selling out their respective date, filling a crowd of almost 40,000 people onto the grounds.

The Peppers newest album, “The Getaway” was released only a month prior to their Bluesfest performance, but the songs were clearly fresh in everyone’s mind, with many singing along to tracks like “Detroit” and the hit single “Dark Necessities.”

Additionally, the California legends played old beloveds like “Scar Tissue,” “Can’t Stop,” and even a tribute to Joy Division’s “Atmosphere.”

However, my favourite show of the entire festival was Toronto punk band Pup, playing on July 14.

Though the audience was on the smaller side, its energy and love for the band was incredible, and speaking as someone who was in the pit for the majority of the show, it was majestically high energy.

It was clear that nearly every person in the crowd was there because they truly loved Pup and showed it by forcing an encore, a rarity for Bluesfest sets from what I’ve experienced. For the fabled Bluesfest encore song, Pup played a cover of Weezer’s 1996 hit “El Scorcho,” which left everyone in a grand feeling of nostalgia and sweaty accomplishment.

In all, Bluesfest was pretty rad. There was enough diversity that allowed for almost anyone to enjoy a given day or more. As well, the festival did a fantastic job of choosing local acts like The Heavy Medicine Band, The Yips, Bonnie Doon, and more.

With a record-breaking year of Bluesfest, it’s time to huddle down for the many months to come before we can once again wander Lebreton Flats in search of good music.