Flashing cameras and runway lights illuminated colourful patterns, sleek silhouettes and fluffy textures at the Carleton University Black Student Alliance’s (BSA) second annual fashion show on March 28. 

Under the theme, For the Culture, the show’s eight categories encouraged student designers, sponsors and models to experiment with an assortment of styles.

“[The theme] really just aims to capture the variety of Black fashion and beauty that exists,” said Thandie Chigaru, the BSA’s event co-ordinator and a model at the show.

She said she imagined the show’s theme last semester, drawing inspiration from the Black community’s adaptations of social media trends. 

For The Culture encompassed eight categories: alternative, Aliyah core/cyber Y2K, coquette, boho, clean, black tie/hood rich, traditional wear and designs from sponsors. Models styled themselves with their own clothing, or were styled by one of the three Black-run sponsor brands: Sikaroworld, AFRO-LUXURY and Changer de Visage.

Chigaru, who wore five outfits in the show, said her Aliyah core/cyber Y2K outfit was her favourite to model. 

“The Aliyah core kinda really makes me wear something that I’m a bit uncomfortable in, but still confident [in],” she said. 

Chigaru said Aliyah core is inspired by the “bimbo” aesthetic and Aliyah’s Interlude, an American singer who gained TikTok popularity for her song “IT GIRL” in 2023.

“Moon boots, short skirts, fishnets,” Chigaru said. “It’s overall just meant to be maximalist […] it’s not a practical outfit but it’s meant to be cute.”

For student designer and BSA executive Gama Liel Eyito, the show was his runway debut. 

He and his partner Ester Ayodele are the founders of Sikaroworld, an upcoming brand which specializes in upcycling to create unique, well-fit pieces. Eyito and Ayodele sponsored the event and styled four For the Culture models.

“We’ve gotten two samples and then the other two we made ourselves,” he said. “It’s a lot of creativity in part with what we got from the manufacturer.”  

Eyito said he hopes his designs left a lasting impression on fashion show attendees. 

“I want more people to see what I can do and I want to know their opinions and what they think. I’m open to criticism that will make me better.” 

For the Culture was also an opportunity for Black students to exercise fashion skills and grow their industry experience.

Nifemi Boamah, a first-year political science student, modelled six looks for the show, including one from Sikaroworld. She said she loves putting outfits together and styling her looks can take 15 minutes to an hour depending on the available clothing.

“First, I look for what people are wearing,” she said. “Pinterest is my go-to, of course, every single time, and then I look up the core elements of the style or aesthetic of outfits.”

Boamah said designing outfits for the BSA fashion show required creativity, especially when she didn’t already have the clothing items. 

“For hood rich, I’m wearing a shirt as a skirt,” she said. 

Another valuable skill is sewing, Boamah added. She said models need to know how to fix their own outfits if something breaks.

“You can see the individuality in each outfit,” said Zam Onwa, BSA vice-president director of community outreach. “The dedication is really admirable.” 

Onwa, one of the show’s emcees, added the “hood rich” category to the lineup during the brainstorming phase of planning. 

“Think Black wealth,” he said. “The 90s, fur coats, grills […] money that you don’t know what to do with.” 

He added it is powerful to model something that society says you cannot have. 

Student attendees Lulu Onyango and Prunellie Tchakam told the Charlatan they thought the show’s variety was amazing. Tchakam added her favourite category was black tie, while Onyango resonated with the traditional wear. 

“It reminded me of home and what the African culture really means,” Onyango said. “I can’t believe the next [BSA fashion show] is in a year. I wish they had one every semester.”

Featured image by Anya Swettenham/the Charlatan.