Urban Deli is a new addition to the University Centre food court this semester. Even though it’s replacing the spot that Subway previously occupied, its offerings ensure there’s no lack of fresh sandwich options in the food court! 

Urban Deli is a sandwich deli that offers ready-made and build-your-own sandwiches. Prices for ready-made sandwiches start at $7.29 for the vegetarian options and $8.29 for meat, and a sandwich made-to-order starts at $7.29. You can make your sandwich a combo with a side soup or salad for an additional $3. 

Considering Subway charges about the same for their 6-inch sub combos, I consider this a win for affordable healthier alternatives! 

With over 25 sandwich ingredients to choose from, Urban Deli claims to have more than 10 million possible sandwich combinations. You can find their menu here.

As much as I’d love to prove that claim is true, unfortunately, I don’t have the budget to accommodate 10 million sandwiches. That didn’t stop me from popping into the food court to start making a dent in that number.

Despite the line being short, the wait was on the longer side, but this was understandable considering the staff were constructing sandwiches from scratch. I opted for a build-your-own sandwich instead of a ready-made one which added to my wait—the group of men behind me in line ordered ready-made sandwiches and they all received their food before me. 

Urban Deli probably isn’t the fastest food court option, so if you find yourself there in a time crunch, I’d recommend their ready-made options for a quicker experience.

The staff were all super nice and did their best to keep the line moving, despite things looking a tad chaotic behind the counter. They probably would have benefitted from having an extra body on the floor.

I was super excited to see all the dietary restriction options at the counter. They had gluten-free bun options and multiple halal toppings. As someone who tries to avoid dairy, I was especially relieved at the vegan options. They had vegan mayo and vegan cheese, as well as various alternative proteins such as tempeh bacon. 

Urban Deli also prepares daily baked treats, but they are on the pricier side. I’m a sucker for anything raspberry, so the raspberry tarts they were offering that day were calling my name. I ultimately gave in and bought one, despite the $4 price point which I think is a bit steep for a tart. The tart was on the bigger side, but not in line with the price point when looking at how much food you can get for double the cost with their sandwiches.

The whole meal was delicious! Their bread is supplied by Ottawa bakeries Portuguese Bakery and Art Is In and my sandwich’s ciabatta bun was toasty warm. The veggies were nice and crisp and they didn’t skimp on the portion of roast beef they gave me. They also didn’t overdo it on the mayo, which was a nice change from whenever I get sandwiches at the Tim Hortons on campus. 

I usually find vegan alternatives not overly delicious, which is why I decided against trying the vegan cheese, but the vegan mayo was good so I think I’ll try the cheese the next time I’m there.

The raspberry tart was the highlight for me. It wasn’t sickly sugary—a perfect balance between sweet and tangy. I could tell that it was less processed than other baked good options on campus. I’m excited to try the other daily baked goods Urban Deli offers, but only on occasion to keep my bank account satisfied.

Overall I’m happy with Carleton Dining Services’ choice of restaurant in replacing Subway. Urban Deli is a healthier alternative that’s just as financially accessible for students. 

Their incorporation of local products is awesome—I love to see Carleton supporting local businesses! Urban Deli’s wide selection of dietary accommodations is also amazing to see and a step in the right direction for food inclusivity on campus.

Although the wait time isn’t the most ideal for someone in a rush, I would recommend checking them out if you find yourself lunch-less on campus with some extra minutes to spare.

Featured image provided by Carleton Dining Services.