Rooster’s Coffeehouse is a simple and casual restaurant located on the fourth floor of the University Centre that serves all-day breakfast, pitas and dips, hearty pastries and house-brewed coffee.

Founded in the 1970s, Rooster’s is one of the most recognizable eateries at Carleton University. Although it had to close during the COVID-19 pandemic, a colourfully decorated sandwich board has recently reappeared amidst the construction chaos happening outside its doors to mark the restaurant’s return.

Incentivized by the “early birds” bonus, which adds a 20 per cent discount on all breakfast items before 9:30 a.m., I stepped into Rooster’s on a Friday morning. My early arrival was further rewarded by the toasty aroma of coffee beans and freshly baked pastries. The sounds of chopping and brewing and the staff’s welcoming greetings accompanied the gleaming sunlight passing through the window. 

Their menu hangs directly above the counter and features a number of vegetarian-friendly options indicated with leaf-shaped tags. Excluding tax, the prices of breakfast goodies start around $1 for basic toast with spreads and up to $7 for omelettes. Customers also have the option to customize their orders with various veggies, sauces and protein add-ons for sandwiches, as well as alternative milk options and over a dozen different beverage flavours. 

The Bagelwich is Rooster’s signature dish, according to their website. I ordered the classic bacon, egg and cheese combo, which was certified to be a wise choice. The ensemble allows the texture and flavour of every ingredient to thoroughly blend into each other: the airiness and creaminess of scrambled eggs, half-melted cheddar and tangy bacon pieces made every bite a satisfying experience. 

Tzatziki sauce not only added a rich taste to the sandwich but also moisturized the bagel slices, which would otherwise be slightly stiff on their own. The fresh cucumber cubes I chose as a garnish introduced surprisingly refreshing bursts that complemented the flavours of the protagonist ingredients. 

My only complaint was the raw mushrooms, which could have added more to the meal if they were cooked and seasoned in advance.

I paired the Bagelwich with a steaming matcha latte. It catered more to my taste than the same product at Starbucks. It was not sweetened excessively to the point which obliterates matcha’s unique woodiness. The drink was also not overly topped with milk foam that withers the throat and makes you question the amount of liquid you actually got. 

A few minutes after I finished ordering, foraging Ravens flew in through the door one after another, driven by Rooster’s balmy atmosphere and delectable dishes. 

I’m glad that I took the chance in ditching my go-to spots to try out Rooster’s, for what turned out to be a beautiful encounter.

Featured image by Isaac Phan Nay.