Graphic by Christophe Young

Carleton Ravens wide receiver Nate Behar had always dreamed of playing for the Western Mustangs.

Growing up in London, the decision seemed obvious—but when Behar chose Carleton over Western in his final year of high school, he said the decision was questioned by just about everyone close to him.

Only four years have passed since Behar made his choice, but he and his teammates have since defeated Western and subsequently leapfrogged them in the national rankings.

Now, Behar is a top prospect on the Canadian Football League (CFL) Scouting Bureau’s list, and is currently adding his name to the Ravens’ record books.

The Charlatan spoke with Behar to reflect on his CIS career, his record-breaking achievement, and more.

The Charlatan (TC): What was Carleton’s recruitment process like and why did you decide to come here?

Nate Behar (NB): By the time Carleton started talking to me I was in my fifth year [of high school], but at first I had already turned down a lot of offers because I knew I would go to Western. I’m from London, I played with a bunch of the guys at Western, I thought we were going to win Yates, were going to win 1,000 Vaniers, it’s going to be great. Then after one of my home games, Steve [Sumarah] met with me. We were at my mom’s house and I just remember thinking ‘holy, we got something to talk about.’ Later on I came down [to Carleton] for a visit, and there was just something about it.

TC: With Carleton being a new program, did you have any doubts about coming here?

NB: 110 per cent. I was told every single day that we would never beat Western, we would never make the playoffs, etc. I tried my best to block that out, but some of it got through to me. That first year was tough. You know, [it was] week seven and we were 0-6 and it was just tough. But we all bought into the projections and the future.

TC: So it must have felt amazing to beat Western?

NB: Absolutely. I was in tears.

TC: Did you think the program would develop this much in such a short time?

NB: I think it was the only way to picture it. It would kind of be weird to picture ourselves as martyrs. Nobody wants to be the ones who show up and build the program, only to leave before the winning starts. So we envisioned this, and I honestly think we drank enough Kool-Aid that this is what we expected to come.

TC: What has been your favourite moment as a Raven?

NB: It’s definitely a tight one . . . it’s either the second Panda Game where I caught [the]Hail Mary, or that last knee against Western. The first one was kind of our first game beating a nationally recognized team [University of Ottawa Gee-Gees], and then this last one was our first time beating the top team [Western].

TC: You have one year of eligibility left prior to this season . . . Have you decided on whether you will come back?

NB: I haven’t decided yet. A lot of it is going to depend on the [CFL] Draft and how that plays out.

TC: When it’s all said and done, what are you going to miss about your time here?

NB: Just how much we’ve been through. It’s something other guys in this country have no idea about. Going from the bottom of the barrel, to sniffing the top and having the chance to do something phenomenal, that’s a bond that nobody can touch. Guys have come in and won Vaniers and stuff, but nobody has done it like we have.