The British Columbia provincial government has implemented a 10 year plan “Skills for Jobs” blueprint. This plan donates $1.5 million to develop skills for students with disabilities in the resource sector as well as $6.4 million to develop the same skills for aboriginals in BC.

The $1.5 million will be split between 20 institutions to train those who are disabled in the resource sector, for jobs in the trades and other growing markets in BC, according to a Social Development and Social Innovation press release.

“The employment rate for people with disabilities is 18 percentage points lower than for people without a disability,” Minister Don McRae said in the release.

Each of these post-secondary institutions will be receiving $75,000 to develop training for learners with disabilities.

“Our priority is to make sure relevant post-secondary education and training programs are accessible to all British Columbians,” said Advanced Education Minister Amrik Virk in a release.

The BC government announced the “10 year action plan” to redevelop education such as encouraging apprenticeships.

This program allows for those with disabilities to get involved in more hands-on training in skills such as carpentry, metal working, or any other trade there is demand for in BC.

The Skills for Jobs blueprint includes the donation of $6.4 million to help aboriginal communities. This will aide 440 aboriginals. There are 23 projects that enable partnerships between post-secondary and aboriginal communities, according to the release.

“By improving access to education, skills and trades training for Aboriginal students through programs like the Aboriginal Community-based Delivery Partnerships Program, we can help Aboriginal communities to take advantage of economic opportunities, and support B.C.’s labour market,” Virk said.

The funding was split $2 million from the ministry of Advanced Education and $4.4 million from the Government of Canada.

“Our goal is to ensure that aboriginal people are in a position to fill many of the million jobs expected in British Columbia by 2022. As we grow our economy we need to partner with First Nations and use programs like this to train and prepare aboriginal people,” said Minister of Jobs, Tourism and Training Shirley Bond in a press release.