CUPE 2424, the union representing all administrative, technical, and library staff at Carleton, is continuing bargaining negotiations with the university.

In an email statement provided to The Charlatan, CUPE 2424 president Jerrett Clark explained what the union would like from the university.

“We’ve asked for small improvements in typical bargaining items like benefits and leave, but our major issues are the University’s proposed concessions to our pension language and bargaining rights around internal equity and job evaluation,” he said. “The biggest thing is protecting what we already have.”

According to Clark, although bargaining has taken place over 16 days since July, progress has not been made on the “most significant issues.”

“I think we’ve demonstrated a real commitment to reaching a negotiated settlement, yet our major issues around pension protection and bargaining rights are still unresolved,” he said.

Beth Gorham, the university’s manager of public affairs, said in an email that “the parties have made significant progress and all non-monetary issues have been resolved.”

In October, CUPE 2424 held a strike mandate vote. According to the union’s website, 63 per cent of its membership turned out to vote, and 93 per cent voted in favour of, as Clark described, “job action up to and including a strike, if necessary.”

Despite this, Clark maintains that it’s “impossible to say if there will be a strike.”

“We owe it to our members and the Carleton community to only consider a strike if all other options have been exhausted,” he said.

According to Gorham, the last three of the 16 bargaining days have been with the assistance of a conciliator appointed by the Ontario Ministry of Labour.

Gorham said the conciliator’s mandate is to “assist the parties in resolving outstanding issues amicably, and in a fair and reasonable manner, so that renewal of the collective agreement can be finalized.”

“Ultimately, it’s still up to the parties,” Clark said.

On Jan. 9, CUPE 2424 held an information picket at both the Colonel By and Bronson Avenue campus entrances. Clark said the picket was used to communicate the union’s concerns with the Carleton community.

“The University has the advantage of being able share its own views on bargaining with the broader Carleton community, whereas we can only communicate with our members,” Clark said.

When asked about disruptions to campus traffic caused by the information picket, he said the purpose was to be visible and provide information, not to be “disruptive.”

“We weren’t deliberately stopping traffic, but a lot of cars were stopping to receive handouts, which did cause some delays,” he said, adding that it’s common for OC Transpo buses not to cross picket lines in union solidarity.

Clark added that the entire picket protocol was coordinated and agreed upon by the university, CUPE 2424, and the Department of University Safety, and that the Ottawa Police Services were notified in advance and present.

“The university remains confident that the parties will achieve an agreement,” Gorham said.

The next bargaining session is scheduled for Feb. 1.

“I’m hopeful that we can find a path forward,” Clark said.

Photo by Meagan Casalino